What Latin phrases do you use or overuse in daily life?

Lucius Aelius

Linguistics Hippie

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Rather fond of dropping suum cuique and de gustibus non est disputandum.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Mutatis Mutandis ran in a race at Nottingham yesterday. Despite being 12/1, it had been napped by one tipster, so I gave it a second look. It had a bad draw, though, and other journalists stressed the difficulty of overcoming this.

I don't do sucker bets. Instead I backed another horse, in another race, because the trainer had an amazing record at the course, thinking it was a solid each-way proposition in a 10-horse race. It came seventh. Mutatis Mutandis hadn't read the Racing Post, so didn't know she didn't have much of a chance from that stall, and won her race. I hate horses sometimes.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Etaoin Shrdlu, you could try Latin Rebel in the 1920 at Hamilton tonight. Reasonable value at 8/1.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Always a guessing game when a trainer's got three entered in the race. It came fourth, with O'Meara's other horses in first and third place.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Only just noticed it - Ripon 2110 today - In Vino Veritas
(Which probably is an overused Latin phrase, which is what this thread is supposed to be about)

Tomer

Et tu, Brute?

You'd be surprised how many a time I found this one to be a perfect fit.

AmericanOrpheus

I often mutter to myself "Memento homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris." This is a Latin phrase I learned from the Sermao de Quarta-feria de cinzas. I was immediately struck by its poignancy and beauty.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I've just remembered I say non omnia possumus omnes quite a lot, due to general incompetence. Also, forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

This morning my family was quibbling (as usual) over whether oatmeal was delicious or disgusting. Weary of the whole business, I finally announced to all and sundry: "De gustibus non est disputandum!"

That shut them up, good and proper. ;)

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

It's handy if you run out of wallpaper paste. I've never understood why people eat it, when raw oats with milk/yoghurt is so much nicer. And less work in the morning.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

It's handy if you run out of wallpaper paste. I've never understood why people eat it, when raw oats with milk/yoghurt is so much nicer. And less work in the morning.
Because it happens to be delicious. That's just the way it is. :p

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

At crucial (and not-so crucial moments) during oral exams I go for Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum.

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Fortes fortuna iuvat always comes in handy as well.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

At crucial (and not-so crucial moments) during oral exams I go for Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum.
You make your students do oral exams in Latin? That sounds nervewracking... :(