What would it be like to teach a Roman English?

Filius Scriptoris

English being a very irregular, mutilated language aside, what sort of other problems do you think a Roman would face that would be unique to a Roman? Various idioms for one thing, and I'm sure that a Roman would also be daunted by our aspects and tenses, but they might not mind our word order, seeing as theirs was a bit flexible.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

a bit, lol

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

they might not mind our word order, seeing as theirs was a bit flexible.
Perhaps some would have some problems respecting such a rigid word order.

But on the whole I don't think it would be that difficult for a Roman to learn English.

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Quite hopeless I should think. Learning English would be beneath any self-respecting Roman as they would regard any language other than Greek and Latin as barbarian.

Hawkwood

• Civis

How do we know that Latin to an individual in a specific region was flexible in word order. Couldn't it just be a case of local patterns to your region dictating word order thus why we see different patterns in the snippets that have survived. And as Rome became the huge administrative capital of the civilised world, Latin from all corners merged.
Basically, did an individual develop naturally, a consistent pattern to his speech regarding word order, because if that is the case then the 'flexibility' isn't as flexible as it would seem. I just feel it would be natural for a Roman to develop word order in his speech.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I imagine that word order in everyday speech must have been a tiny bit more fixed than in literary works, but it was probably still freer than in English.

I guess it's possible that there were different tendencies following regions, but I don't think it was quite fixed anywhere. You find various word orders within any single work, it isn't as if an author from that region always used this order, and one from another region always that order. ;)

In fact Latin spread from Rome into all corners after it became the capital, it didn't merge from all corners.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

In fact Latin spread from Rome into all corners after it became the capital, it didn't merge from all corners.
Yes, to start with. But the Latin of the provinces will have inevitably filtered back to and influenced the Latin of the metropolis.

Hawkwood

• Civis

"You find various word orders within any single work"
Well that says a lot, I can't really argue with that. Flexible word order still seems such a strange notion to me.
But regarding the other point, surely Latin developed differences after conquest & in turn as Rome became more cosmopolitan certain effects that Rome had once had on her provinces, in turn influenced the herself.

Just to clarify, when you say a body of work, am I to take it as a work belonging to one author specifically. Again, to me this is important.

Sorry, in my long responce I see one of my queries has just been addressed.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Flexible word order still seems such a strange notion to me.
Normal. Your mind is formatted by your mother tongue which relies heavily on a rather fixed word order. But Latin word order isn't completely random either; in some contexts a particular word order will be more suitable than another, and there are some recurring patterns. It just works differently and is more flexible according to the importance you want to give to a certain word or other factors like aesthetics. But I think this is something you can only start getting a feel for when you have read a little.
Just to clarify, when you say a body of work, am I to take it as a work belonging to one author specifically. Again, to me this is important.
Hmm, I didn't use the expression "body of works". Do you mean whan I said "any single work"? I mean that in a single text (so yes, written by the same author), you find various words orders.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Yes, sorry, I meant single work, not sure why I typed 'body'.
So we have examples of one work with inconsistent word order, could that not be because the publishing shops of the time used different scribes to mass produce a work. I'm just saying what concrete proof do we have, say, like an ancient author specifically addressing word order etc.

That said, I do get what you mean & I do see a little glimpse of the more subtle patterns developing as I read a bit, like the agreement runs of an ablative etc. It's like I start to see chunks in a sentence, held together by cases & agreement & separate to another chunk. But to imagine how a listener would be able to absorb anothers' speech in real time without an amount of consistent *order* is where I become slightly sceptical.

And lastly, if that's the case, does that mean they would of thought differently to how we think. I mean thinking & forming thoughts plays a part in speech even as we speak.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

So we have examples of one work with inconsistent word order, could that not be because the publishing shops of the time used different scribes to mass produce a work.
Scribal errors exist of course, but their aim was still most of the time to copy a work as it was, so, except occasional mistakes, they would have copied it in the same word order, I see no reason why they would have deliberately changed the order for the fun of it. Anyway if such a thing had happened, I suppose we would now have thoroughly different readings with regards to word order in every manuscript of a same work, which I don't think is the case.
I'm just saying what concrete proof do we have
I think the texts themselves are sufficient proof of what happend at least in literature. Now you can argue that we have little proof concerning the spoken language.
do we have, say, like an ancient author specifically addressing word order etc.
I haven't read anything of the kind personally, but I haven't read much of the Roman grammarians, who are the most likely to have addressed such an issue. I know LCF has read a bit of them these last months: have you found any passage concerning word order, LCF?
But to imagine how a listener would be able to absorb anothers' speech in real time without an amount of consistent *order* is where I become slightly sceptical.
I understand your doubt. I had the same. But once you find out that it's possible to read it without difficulty, you start thinking it must have been possible to hear it without difficulty as well. All the information that we in English (or French) convey by word order is there, but it's just conveyed by other means, principally the case endings, and also by word order in fact, there IS some consistency, but in a different and more subtle, so to speak, way. The thing is that it works so differently from our native languages (by which our brains have been "formatted") that in the beginning it seems crazy and difficult, but in fact in the same way as when in English you hear, say, "bread" just after the verb "eat", you understand that it's the direct object because this information is conveyed by word order, well, in Latin if you hear the word panem in the beginning of a sentence, you will understand that it's the direct object of a verb which is still to come, because that information is conveyed by the accusative ending.
And lastly, if that's the case, does that mean they would of thought differently to how we think. I mean thinking & forming thoughts plays a part in speech even as we speak.
I think that yes in a way. It's often said that each language has its own way of thinking.

Anyway word order is a big subject I think.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Anyway if such a thing had happened, I suppose we would now have thoroughly different readings with regards to word order in every manuscript of a same work, which I don't think is the case.
Luckily for you. :D

Hawkwood

• Civis

Thanks. Interesting stuff. I just think if it was spoken as was written, as a listener it would have to take a different system of thought processes to absorb the info.
By that I mean, we, as the listener subconsciously visualise through sentences using thought processes which draw mainly from the word order.
But to a 'listening Roman' the word order appears not to be key to forming split second thoughts in relation to absorbing information.

A thoughts just occurred to me. Are there any present day languages using an inflection on a par with Latin?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I just think if it was spoken as was written, as a listener it would have to take a different system of thought processes to absorb the info.
Yes, I think it's a different thought process, in reading as well.
A thoughts just occurred to me. Are there any present day languages using an inflection on a par with Latin?
Yes, there is still quite a bunch of inflected languages, like Russian, Polish, Czech, and I think many (or all?) Slavic languages; Arabic, German to some extent, Albanian, Turkish, Finnish and others. I know none of these personally, so I can't give you more info on how word order works in them.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Yes, I think it's a different thought process.
Yes, there are still quite a few inflected languages, like Russian, Polish, Czech, and I think many (or all?) Slavic languages; Arabic, German to some extent, Albanian, Turkish, Finnish and others. I know none of these personally, so I can't give you more info on how word order works in them.
Wow. Well there you go. Inflection is still relevant. Quite a few countries named above. And these have the same loose word order structure as Latin?

You know I was just thinking about what could replace a reliable word order based structure in relation to Latin. Agreement. I think agreement actually replaces the need for word order, I mean, in English if you change say, 2 nouns in a given sentence, it can completely alter the meaning of said sentence.Well what stops that happening in Latin? Agreement I think.
This is probably old ground to most on this forum but to some just starting out it's quite an interesting topic.

Hawkwood

• Civis

[quote="Pacis puella, post: 184150, All the information that we in English (or French) convey by word order is there, but it's just conveyed by other means, principally the case endings, and also by word order in fact, there IS some consistency, but in a different and more subtle, so to speak, way. The thing is that it works so differently from our native languages (by which our brains have been "formatted") that in the beginning it seems crazy and difficult, but in fact in the same way as when in English you hear, say, "bread" just after the verb "eat", you understand that it's the direct object because this information is conveyed by word order, well, in Latin if you hear the word panem in the beginning of a sentence, you will understand that it's the direct object of a verb which is still to come, because that information is conveyed by the accusative ending.
.[/quote]

Yes, this makes complete sense.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Wow. Well there you go. Inflection is still relevant. Quite a few countries named above. And these have the same loose word order structure as Latin?
As I've already said, I don't know those languages so I can't give a sure answer but I would think that inflection probably always allowed at least a certain flexibility.
You know I was just thinking about what could replace a reliable word order based structure in relation to Latin. Agreement. I think agreement actually replaces the need for word order, I mean, in English if you change say, 2 nouns in a given sentence, it can completely alter the meaning of said sentence.Well what stops that happening in Latin? Agreement I think.
Yes, that's it. Agreement/inflections.
This is probably old ground to most on this forum but to some just starting out it's quite an interesting topic.
Oh but it still is for me.

Ealdboc Aethelheall

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

It isn't in German, which has a syntax that is very similar to that of Dutch (my native language). Very early sources for West Germanic do suggest considerable flexibility, at least in poetry, but I'm not sure West Germanic was ever as flexible as literary Latin.

LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It isn't in German, which has a syntax that is very similar to that of Dutch (my native language). Very early sources for West Germanic do suggest considerable flexibility, at least in poetry, but I'm not sure West Germanic was ever as flexible as literary Latin.
The stage of development that German is in reminds me a great deal of Middle English.