Inspirational When all else fails.

PrB Pickles

Hello,
I am trying to get a latin phrase to use for a gaming group I run. This will be our slogan/coat of arms. This will also be gendered as a male. Knowing latin is a complex language and not trusting google I have come here to you fellows for assistance.

Our group is called Protocol Black. The name of our group is in reference to a possible, hypothetical name of a protocol to be given during a miliatry mission (we are a gaming group). Think Halo here (Cole Protocol). So, our name means a lot to us. We refer to ourselves as the final solution during matches for fun. Think scorched earth. Kind-of edgy, but it is fun regardless.

When everyone retreats, all is lost and no one is left but us, we are the ones who stand to the last. We are the ones called when all else has failed. Will will fight. Will will survive. We WILL win. We are Protocol Black.

Thank you in advance and have fun. Look forward to see what you fellows have to say.

Regards,
Pickles

PrB Pickles

The phrase you stated is rather poetic.

Just to get clarification in regards to latin (since I know nothing about it):
When using a phrase, even if it doesn't directly say exactly what you mean, is it the context in which it is used that brings the meaning?
I have heard some languages are very contextual and just want to have a better understanding of it.
Sorry if this comes across wrong. My mind is flying in 12 different directions on how I want to use the phrase.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

There is a famous ablative absolute, ceteris paribus, "all other things being equal." My suggestion is simply a variation on that: "all other things failing." That seems to fit what you requested. However, you are right to wonder about it: this expression might not work so well as a stand-alone motto. Extremum auxilium = the last resort.

PrB Pickles

I really like the last one you suggested. Extremum auxilium. That is exactly what Protocol Black means. Last resort. Perfect and thank you!

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

The phrase you stated is rather poetic.
Incidentally, I want to point out that, although the English translation may sound poetic, the Latin is not poetic at all. That phrase would not at all be out of place in a prose text.

PrB Pickles

Incidentally, I want to point out that, although the English translation may sound poetic, the Latin is not poetic at all. That phrase would not at all be out of place in a prose text.
Thank you very much for the explanation. I learnt something! Thanks again for all of your guys' help. Really appreciate it. Keep up the good work.