Why Greek?

Symposion

When I study Latin I have many times been asked if I also study Greek. When my paternal grandfather studied at the university about 80 years ago he had studied both Latin and Greek. Still today people tend to study both classical languages. Why is this? During the Middle Ages people in western Catholic Europe could not Greek. In the Byzantine Empire people could Greek but not Latin. So I wonder now do I have to study Greek? I am very interested in the Latin language and Roman litterature. I am not so interested in Greek. What do you think? Has Greek effected Latin much?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The two complement each other; they are the two major pillars of our crumbling western civilisation. It is worthwhile to study both, even though Latin has overcome the other. A good classical scholar has knowledge of both.

Symposion

Matthaeus dixit:
The two complement each other; they are the two major pillars of our crumbling western civilisation. It is worthwhile to study both, even though Latin has overcome the other. A good classical scholar has knowledge of both.
My primary focus is not Antiquity nor the Byzantine Empire. It is the Middle Ages in Catholic Europe. That would mean that I would need a very good command of Latin. I am not sure that I would need Greek. What do you think?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

This is the reason I haven't learned Greek. I figure I would be better using the time for something else. It does handicap me a bit with Classical Latin, which is what I am doing at undergraduate level, and I periodically review my choice.

If you are focused on Western Europe in the Middle Ages, I don't think that you need it. If you are doing Renaissance, then you might.

Symposion

Cinefactus dixit:
This is the reason I haven't learned Greek. I figure I would be better using the time for something else. It does handicap me a bit with Classical Latin, which is what I am doing at undergraduate level, and I periodically review my choice.

If you are focused on Western Europe in the Middle Ages, I don't think that you need it. If you are doing Renaissance, then you might.
I am more interested about the Early Middle Ages (400-800) and then less and less when history comes closer to the end of the Middle Ages but generally the Middle Ages interests me. I had an interest for Romanian history in the 1400s but no one seems to teach it outside Romania and my languages are not enough to dig into that. I also have an interest for Swedish history as my native language is Swedish. At the moment that is not what I focus on either but maybe later. My interest for these areas in History has made me think that I do not need to learn Greek and can focus on other things instead.

You Cinefactus say that it does handicap you that you have not studied Greek. What lingvistical aspects of Classical Latin is harder if one does not read Classical Greek? Is there any aspects of Latin that are harder without being able to read Greek?

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Since Romans basically imported Greek culture and literature I reckon it would be useful to at least be familiarised with the basics (especially of literature). Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit et artis intulit agresti Latio etc.

I share the same interest for the Romanian history - especially since so little of it is kept and known prior to Neacșu's letter in 1521. :)

Symposion

Brunhilda dixit:
I share the same interest for the Romanian history - especially since so little of it is kept and known prior to Neacșu's letter in 1521. :)
Romanian history is indeed very interesting but I have not been able to specialize in it. :(

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Ralf Palmgren dixit:
You Cinefactus say that it does handicap you that you have not studied Greek. What lingvistical aspects of Classical Latin is harder if one does not read Classical Greek? Is there any aspects of Latin that are harder without being able to read Greek?
Not so much linguistic, more understanding of the background of the various writing styles, such as New Comedy etc

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

From a Mediaeval point of view, it does help in understanding the style of the Vulgate.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Haha sure but isn't the Vulgate a translation of the Septuagint which is in turn an interpretation of the Hebrew text? Just need this cleared up ... :help:

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Ralf Palmgren dixit:
Brunhilda dixit:
Romanian history is indeed very interesting but I have not been able to specialize in it. :(
I'm sorry to hear that but since I'm a student of Romanian language and literature if I ever can be of any help, let me know. We mostly focus on the history of their literature, language and civilisation which I find fascinating since no one really knows to what percentage are they Dacians, Romans, Tracians or even Hungarians (as Hungarians themselves claim) and same applies to their mysterious language which is mostly a mixture of Dacian and Latin substratum and Slavic superstratum :)

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ralf Palmgren dixit:
Has Greek effected Latin much?
It hasn’t. In fact, English is much more influenced by Latin not to say of French, but you don’t need to learn either of the latter two, if you are interested in English. :) I’d say, don’t learn Greek if you neither want it nor need it.

Latin and Greek are the two classical European languages, the two pillars, as Matthaeus wrote; also the languages of the Bible. No wonder they are somewhat associated. But Greek is needed for a better insight into the Antiquity and the Antiquity-based Renaissance.

Ralf Palmgren dixit:
my native language is Swedish.
:banana: I hope you won’t mind answering a question or two if I have any?

Symposion

I am interested to have a very good command of latin. I am not so sure about Greek but maybe it could be something to be able to read Ancient Greek. I am still not sure if I would have concrete use of it. Lets see...

Yes I can help you with Swedish if you have any questions. :)

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Matthaeus dixit:
Haha sure but isn't the Vulgate a translation of the Septuagint which is in turn an interpretation of the Hebrew text? Just need this cleared up ... :help:
The Septuagint covers only the OT—the NT was written in the Koine dialect.

Symposion

The Old Testament (Vetus Testamentum) is originally written in Biblical Hebrew or Classical Hebrew. I guess that catholics could not read this language in the Middle Ages in the Catholic Western Europe? The New Testament (Novum Testamentum) is originally written in the Koine dialect of the Ancient Greek language. It seems therefore that people in Catholic Europe during the Middle Ages could not read the Bible in original. Instead they used the Vulgate latin translation. Today the Nova Vulgata latin translation is the official Bible in the Roman-Catholic Church.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Isn’t the Koine New Testament a Greek version of earlier Armaic scriptures?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I think that is speculated by some, but I haven't read into the reasoning.