Why would it be worth reading Latin literature?

tim05000

Some people learn Latin so they can read Latin literature but I don't understand why. What's so special about it compared to the literature of any other language?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

It forms, along with Greek, the backbone of Western civilisation itself. There must have been very good reasons for that to be special, inasmuch as both languages have been studied for over two and a half millenia by now.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Some people learn Latin so they can read Latin literature but I don't understand why. What's so special about it compared to the literature of any other language?
For the same reason some learn French to read French literature. It has its inherent value just like any other literature.

D

Deleted member 13757

There is no practical reason today for it. Most relevant works have been most likely already translated. The value you derive from reading the originals looks at art and pleasure.

Miraglia answered this question at 28:43

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Placet maxime, quamvis hercle velocius interdum loquatur quam ut sat bene intellegam .... nihilominus est quidem homo magnopere admirandus atque imitandus.

Then there's this:

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

philologine Tedesci culpandi sunt?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Ita videtur...

Ealdboc Aethelheall

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The best way to approximate the original reading experience of any given text is to read it in the language in which it was originally written. Can we truly recapture the manner in which a second-century audience, for instance, would have experienced and interpreted the works of Marcus Aurelius? Unfortunately, we can't, as our frame of reference is different. By reading works in translation, however, we add an extra layer of interpretation (as someone else has had to convey to the best of their ability the original thoughts and sentiments in the target language, which functions in, and is the product of, a different culture).

The closer to the original text we get, the better the chance of us understanding the text in a manner which does justice to how it would have been read at the time it was composed.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The renaissance revolved around the rediscovery of Latin and Greek literature. It had a profound influence for hundreds of years afterwards. To understand this period of history, you will need to be able to read it.

Symposion

There is no practical reason today for it. Most relevant works have been most likely already translated. The value you derive from reading the originals looks at art and pleasure.

Miraglia answered this question at 28:43

I am usually the one that has to ask questions here on this Forum because I am not a latinist but not today. I can now finally comment as an historian. I do not agree with you LCF. There are several texts written in Latin during for example the Middle Ages that has never been translated into a modern language. Secondly when doing research it is preferred to go back to analyze the authentic sources instead of using a translation. It was the most essential language of the Middle Ages in Western Europe. Many times there is not even a commentary available in another language than Latin. In that sense it is very essential for me as an historian to be able to read and analyze Latin literature in the original version. This is even the main reason why I focus so much on studying Latin.

If I ever could talk Latin this fluently it would be so amazing... :(

Lyceum

I think it's cheating to point out the requirement of Latin (or Greek, or whatever) for Classicists, Historians, Linguists and so on since it's often a given. I think what Tim0500 is asking, and it is a fair question, why would someone outside of these narrow categories want to read Latin.

Now, people often ask this question and I recently even gave a brief talk on it which I'm currently writing up. Anyway the first problem is how we define the question, do you mean unique benefits to Latin? Or benefits more generally? Often many of the so called benefits of Latin (grasp of English, logic and so on) can be found elsewhere. I don't think this invalidates the choice of learning, but I've noticed some critics of the Classics try to press ridiculous levels of proof.

I don't think there's anything inherently valuable in Latin, any more than there is in any literary tradition but then I've a sort of professional, clinical, unsentimental viewpoint here. I mean I find literature valuable, I'm just not really willing to overly privilege any specific subset. It depends on your other interests, if you're a Christian, or interested in the literature of the Renaissance and so on then obviously it will be of great benefit to you. If you're more interested in classical Arabic verse or Native American archaeology...not so much.

I can however thoroughly recommend Latin regardless. I honestly couldn't begin to count up the many hours of joy it has brought me over the years.

tim05000

I failed to specify that I meant Latin fiction. Why would Latin fiction be worth reading as opposed to fiction of other languages?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The Satyricon and Apuleius' Metamorphoses are certainly worth it from my point of view!

Now not especially more than fiction in other languages, and the fact of loving the language itself makes a great part of the interest.

On the whole, my answer to your question is: it's worth reading Latin literature - except the few cases where there's a "practical" utility to it because you need it for your job if you're a historian or something - if you feel like it and get pleasure from it; if not then leave it, there's no obligation why one should be forced to read Latin nor any other literature.