Willius, dei gra. Rex Anglie

Cottonshirt

I am researching my family history. I am not the only person researching this family and there are literally hundreds of websites out there with details posted by people in at least four different countries. Many of them repeat a statement relating to my family allegedly obtaining the title to some land in the north of England shortly after the Norman Conquest in 1066. The statement they repeat is what purports to be the translation into English of a charter allegedly granting these rights. The first time I read this translated charter I suspected it to be incorrect. Explaining the reasons for my doubt would take us a long way from the point but suffice it to say that there already exists an English translation of this work but I have good reasons for supposing it is incorrect, or at the very least, misleading.

I have recently found a book containing what purports to be a transcription in the original language of the charter. The language looks to be mostly Latin but there may be some Norman or early French in it. Unfortunately the book has not been very well produced and the last character on some lines is unclear. I attach to this post a screen grab of the pdf version of the book, and here I post my transcription of it. Where the last letter of a line is in doubt I have included my guess inside {curly braces}. Below the Latin I give some notes that might help you with your translation, or they might just be misleading. Please feel free to ignore them.

Latin Text
Willius, dei gra. Rex Anglie, et Dux suis tam Francis et Anglis qm. Normannis concessimus ditco nro. consanguineo Robto de Toures et Vian alias vocato Robto. cu{m} et Forestam de Redesdale, ac Omnia Cast{a} Pasturas, Aquas Stagna cum omnibus, p.tine que nuper fuerunt Mildredi filii Akmani et que ad Manus nras. devenerunt p. Conp'deo. Robto. et hedibus. suis de nobis et {P}p. Servitium defendi illa ab hostibus {e} Gladio quo cincti eramus quando intravim{us} p. p'sentes ex vberiori gra. nra. gcessim{} suis Regalem Potestatem nram. tenendi excercendi, adiudicandi, audiendi et deter placita et Articulos quoscumq tam coro{n} infra Redesdale emergencias seu contingent p.prios qui p. tempore fuerint ibidem con{s}tudines regni nri. Anglie. In cuius rei {T} nrm. apponi fecimus Testibus Matilda Henrico filiis nris. Decimo die Julii An.

Notes.
1) "Willius, dei gra. Rex Anglie" - I think this says William by the grace of God, king of the English, and it refers obviously to William the Conqueror.

2) "et Dux suis tam Francis et Anglis qm. Normannis" - William was also the 7th Duke of Normandy.

3) "concessimus ditco" - I don't have any Latin at all, but I don't think ditco is a word. I think this might be a copiests error and is meant to be "ditto" meaning "as above", or "as before", or maybe it refers to the idea that one duke is as the one who went before him. possibly.

4) "nro." - I think this might be an abbreviation for number one

5) "consanguineo Robto de Toures et Vian" - consanguine is an adjective describing descent from the same person, so I think this says that William is descended from Robto de Toures et Vian. And since William's father was Robert the Magnificent (1027-1035) that does actually make sense. Whether that's what it says is another matter.

6) "Toures et Vian" - This is normally translated as a place name, either Tours and Vian or Tour and Vian, also sometimes spelled Vien. My research has revealed that there is and was a place called Tours in France, there is and was also a place called Thouars in France and there is and was also a place called Tourville in France, but neither Vian nor Vien are or have been places in France that I know of. There is, however, a place called Vexin, in northern France, half of which was given to the 6th Duke (William's father) after he helped the king put down a rebellion. My suspicion is that "Toures et Vian" should be translated as Tours and Vexin and that, "Robto de Toures et Vian" refers to duke William's father rather than to my supposed ancestor.

7) "Forestam de Redesdale" - The Forest of Redesdale is in Northumberland, in northern England.

8) "Mildredi filii Akmani" - usually translated as Mildred son of Akerman, but that has to be wrong, Mildred is not a boys name so I think that filii here means child, and this says, "Mildred child of Akerman".

9) "Matilda Henrico filiis" - William's wife was Matilda of Flanders (1031 - 1083), but I "think" filiis here is the plural of child so this will refer to his daughter Matilda (c. 1061 - c. 1086) and his son Henry (1068 - 1135) who became king Henry I. So the date of the charter has to be after 1066 but before 1086 when Matilda died.

10) On old documents the date is frequently given in the form 23 Ed III, meaning the 23rd year of the reign of Edward III, which would be 1350. So I "think" the date, "Decimo die Julii An" means the 10th of July in the tenth year of the reign of William the Conqueror, which would put it in 1076. If that date is correct this would be the earliest known charter signed by the man (who would have been 8 years old at the time) who went on to become king Henry I of England.

I really appreciate any comments you might have and please do feel free to ignore any of my hints which might just be misleading or downright wrong. I'm not bad at history, or at least at this history, but I'm afraid I have no Latin at all. Thank you.

Charter of 1076.jpg

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Notes.
1) "Willius, dei gra. Rex Anglie" - I think this says William by the grace of God, king of the English, and it refers obviously to William the Conqueror.
"et Dux suis tam Francis et Anglis qm. Normannis" - William was also the 7th Duke of Normandy.
Anyone who is able to translate the passage would be aware of all of this.

3) "concessimus ditco" - I don't have any Latin at all, but I don't think ditco is a word. I think this might be a copiests error and is meant to be "ditto" meaning "as above", or "as before", or maybe it refers to the idea that one duke is as the one who went before him. possibly.

4) "nro." - I think this might be an abbreviation for number one
It is dilecto and nostro. Ditto is post mediaeval English.

5) "consanguineo Robto de Toures et Vian" - consanguine is an adjective describing descent from the same person, so I think this says that William is descended from Robto de Toures et Vian. And since William's father was Robert the Magnificent (1027-1035) that does actually make sense. Whether that's what it says is another matter.
This is a grant, so it is not his father as his father was dead at the time. Robto is an abbreviation for Roberto. We discussed inflections in the other thread. The right side is clipped.

10) On old documents the date is frequently given in the form 23 Ed III, meaning the 23rd year of the reign of Edward III, which would be 1350. So I "think" the date, "Decimo die Julii An" means the 10th of July in the tenth year of the reign of William the Conqueror, which would put it in 1076. If that date is correct this would be the earliest known charter signed by the man (who would have been 8 years old at the time) who went on to become king Henry I of England.
It is clipped. The year must be on the next page. The scan has also clipped the right hand side, which makes some of the words difficult to read.

Cottonshirt

Cinefactus dixit:
It is dilecto and nostro. Ditto is post mediaeval English.
Thank you.

Cinefactus dixit:
...so it is not his father as his father was dead at the time.
Maybe I didn't express myself very well. I was merely suggesting the possibility that the opening was William describing himself as being descended from (consanguineo) his own father. That his father is dead does not change that William is descended from him. Something like, "William the Duke of Normandy descended from Robert of Tours and Vian..." sort of thing. That sounds like the sort of overblown rhetoric they use in charters and stuff. Maybe. I don't know, it was just a suggestion. Like I said, please ignore all my suggestions at will, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

However, now that I know what ditco nro. means, thank you, I have had a stab at the first couple or three lines. I got a bit confused because both dilecto and nostro are singular but concessimus is plural, but I think we get something like the following, the bits in brackets are uncertain or unknown:

William by the grace of God king of the English and Duke of Normandy grants our beloved (relative) Robert of Tours and Vian also called Roberto with the Forest of Redesdale (ac) all free pasture and pools that recently were (the property of / owned by) Mildred the daughter of Akmani... or something along those lines.

I have no idea what ac is. It doesn't appear to be a word. The similar ae is a word but not in Latin.

As for the beloved relative, William had a son called Robert (1051/54 - 1134), so it is possible he granted the forest and pools to his own son, but that would depend on how someone who knows what he's talking about translates consanguineo.

Thanks for your help.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Maybe I didn't express myself very well. I was merely suggesting the possibility that the opening was William describing himself as being descended from (consanguineo) his own father.
No it isn't. It says:
William by the grace of god King of England and Duke both of his English and French subjects (ie in England) and of Normandy have granted to our beloved kinsman Robert de Tours et Vian otherwise called Robert... but the side is clipped here so I am not sure what it means. The Forest of Redesdale is part of the grant. ac means and, ie all of the Castles, Pastures, Waters, Pools along with all of the appurtenances which recently belonged to Mildred daughter of Akmanus and which have come into our hands

You really need the bits which have been clipped after this. It is, however, standard wording rather than anything exceptional.

I very much doubt it was Robert Curthose as I find it hard to believe that William would call him dilecto, and it would have been dilecto filio in any case.

Vexines is called something else in Latin. Vian may well be an abbreviation but I don't know what it is.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Now that makes a lot more sense...

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

A couple of bits I wasn't quite sure about or which were difficult to read but something like

William by grace of god king of England and Duke of Normandy greetings to all his men both French and English and Normans. Know that we have given to our beloved kinsman Sir Robert de Umframville lord of Tours in Vian otherwise called Robert the Bearded rule, valley and forest of Redesdale and all fortresses, manors and ?, woodlands, pastures, waters, ponds along with all appurtenances and royal franchises which recently belonged to Mildred the daugter of Akmanus recently lord of Redesdale and which came to our hands after the conquest, to the aforementioned Robert and his heirs have and to hold from us and our heirs the kings of England through the service of defending them from enemies and wolves forever with the sword with which we were girded when we entered Northumbria. And further through these ?? we completely yield to the same Robert and his heirs our royal power to hold and to grant and to exercise to judge hear and determine and execute all pleas and articles whatsoever both ?of our crown and others? pertaining emerging or connected with Redesdale though whosoever of his own officers which in time will have been appointed to the seat in that place ?according to the law and customs of our kingdom of England. In testimony of this matter I have affixed our seal to our letter. In witness Matilda our wife, William and Henry our sons. On the tenth day of July in the tenth year of our reign.

Cambrinus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

euge, Cinefacte! 'both ?of our crown and others? ' presumably includes William's descendants. I think that Mildred's maleness must be a scribal misunderstanding here, as 'she' is called both filii and domini.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I take back my previous comment on the standard nature of the last part. I am more used to later charters, but this seems to grant very extensive rights to Robert.