With love and courage we have persevered

Bearhandler1

Hi everyone! I don't speak a word of Latin but my wife is a linguist and I need your help for a gift for her. We recently overcame some major health challenges (cancer), and I would like to get something engraved with the phrase.,"With love and courage we have persevered". Guessing at what might be asked I think it could be reworded, "Using love and courage we (my wife and I) have have survived." Any help would be awesome! Thanks everyone!!

LenCabral

Here's my attempt:

cum amore virtuteque perstitimus

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Wrong sort of "with" -- cum means more like "along with, together with". We need an instrumental "with" ("using/by means of") here.

Amore virtuteque perstitimus. (One could also use perseveravimus, if you want to use a verb that sounds more like English "persevere").

LenCabral

Wrong sort of "with" -- cum means more like "along with, together with". We need an instrumental "with" ("using/by means of") here.

Amore virtuteque perstitimus. (One could also use perseveravimus, if you want to use a verb that sounds more like English "persevere").

This is where I was getting the rule with "cum" Given that there is no emphatic adjective here, it is more natural to use "cum"

LenCabral

B

Bitmap

This is where I was getting the rule with "cum" Given that there is no emphatic adjective here, it is more natural to use "cum"
Well, Callahan's argument was that you shouldn't use an ablative of accompaniment here in the first place (but rather an instrumental one), and I would tend to agree with her here, mainly because the sentiment has a causal undertone that an ablative of accompaniment would fail to meet.

LenCabral

Ah, the difference may be in how I interpreted the original English. I would say then, it's up to the original author whether or not the love and courage are instruments. Cheers!