"Wolf King"

MonkeyFace

Hi all,

I was wondering whether I could recieve some help on translating a classification for my non-existent wolf species (school project) from English to Latin.

I would like to classify it as "Wolf King", but I'm not sure exactly how that would translate correctly. I believe "Canis" means "Dog" and is used for classifying dogs and wolves, and I know that "Rex" means "King". However, I doubt very much that "Canis Rex" is the correct translation and I would be immensley grateful if someone here could give me a helping hand.

Many thanks,
~MonkeyFace

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

I think that the specificity that you are looking for between dog and wolf can be solved by using the word 'lupus.'

I don't know the intricacies of how new species are named, but from Wikipedia:

Canidae (pronounced /ˈkænɨdiː/ or /ˈkeɪnɨdiː/[2]) is the biological family of the dogs; a member of this family is called a canid (/ˈkeɪnɨd/). They include wolves, foxes, coyotes, and jackals. The Canidae family is divided into the "true dogs" of the tribe Canini and the "foxes" of the tribe Vulpini. The two species of the basal Caninae are more primitive and do not fit into either tribe.

The grey wolf or gray wolf (Canis lupus), also known as the timber wolf or simply wolf, is the largest wild member of the Canidae family. It is an ice age survivor originating during the Late Pleistocene around 300,000 years ago.[3] DNA sequencing and genetic drift studies reaffirm that the gray wolf shares a common ancestry with the domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris).

But, I am not sure if one would simply write Canis Lupus Rex, or if the word Rex should be used more adjectivally so the name is more like "Dog-like, King-like Wolf" or if since it is not simply "King-like" and is actually THE king, one could just use the word Rex.

I would really like to learn more about how Scientific Nomenclature works. :wondering: I should read a book about it over the summer.

Others will likely have more advice for you, but at least you have a start now. :)

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

The genus gets a capital letter. The species and subspecies (if present) get small letters.

http://www.itis.gov has
Canis lupus familiaris for the domestic dog, and
Canis lupus lupus, among others, for various wolves.
Canis lupus rufus for the red wolf.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy has
Canis lupus familiaris for the domestic dog,
Canis lupus lupus, among others, for various wolves.
Canis rufus for the red wolf.

But you've discovered a new subspecies and would like to call it the Wolf King. (Canis lupus rex) Can you?

It appears so.

There are such animals as:
Camponotus sericeiventris rex
Clytoceyx rex rex
Conepatus chinga rex
Stactolaema anchietae rex

However there is also:
Campephilus guatemalensis regius

Chamaeleo

Yes, ‘Canis lupus rex’.

Unless you want to go all Greek, and say something like ‘lycobasileus’ or ‘tyrannolycus’!

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Is it a subspecies or a species the OP has (theoretically) discovered?

If a subspecies (that was my understanding), it would have to be Canis lupus ssp.
I suppose you could have Canis lupus lupirex, but if the lupus already has to be there, I don't see the point having an additional lupi-.

Oooh....there is a Canis lupus pambasileus, the Alaska wolf, the "absolute monarch."
Dang, maybe the OP won't be happy with Canis lupus rex now.

http://www.biolib.cz/en/taxonimage/id28475/

Chamaeleo

How about ‘Canis lupus imperator’?

Chamaeleo

Diaphanus dixit:
Lupirex is another possibility,
Except that it sounds like brand of condoms for crazy people.