WorldWide Suicide

ed4prez

I was wondering if someone could ever so graciously help me with the following english to Latin translation: "WorldWide Suicide"

all I know is: world = mundus
wide = passim (as is everywhere, far and wide)
Suicide = ??? suicidium or sui craedere..???

Thanks for any help
Cheers

ed4prez

Hmmmm may be a tough one!

How about a translation for:

"State of Love and Trust"

and

"Indifference"

Thanks

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Sorry, Ed4Prez, I didn't mean for you to go so long unanswered. I'm afraid I'm somewhat cut off from popular culture. I got the lyrics, and I even listened to the song, but I'm still not sure-- in any kind of detail-- what they mean, though of course the general flavor is clear enough.

That makes any translation of the title a little risky. Nevertheless:

Suicide (the act) can be mors voluntaria. Passim is not a bad idea ("all over the place"), but like ubique, it's strictly an adverb. We might say

Mors voluntaria unversalis or "universal suicide".

The World-Wide Web is conventionally rendered in Latin as Tela Totius Terrae, so I suppose we might say

Mors voluntaria totius terrae, that is "suicide of the entire earth".

I'm afraid that's the best I can do right now. Maybe one of our colleagues can come up with something better?

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

"Indifference"

We have to be careful here. The English word can mean a number of different things, depending on context. From the general tenor of your posts I guess that you may mean "apathy", that is, an uncaring state.

Unfortunately (for us seeking a translation) the Latin apathia really does not mean "apathy" in this sense; it carries a strongly positive connotation, usually denoting a freedom from influence by things like anger, lust, pain, and fear; in classical times this was a virtue cultivated by the Stoics, and admired by many others.

Lentitudo won't do either. It can indeed mean "apathy", but with overtones of slowness or slugishness; it can also mean "viscosity" or, curiously, "flexibility".

In the absence of context, our best choice may be incuria .

"State of Love and Trust"

For this I like

Status caritatis et fidei.

Hope this helps.

ed4prez

Thank you so much for all you help! I really do appreciate it!!

I'm sorry that my posts didnt include specifics about the context in which I wanted the words or phrases translated. Sorry, if I made it more difficult for ya.

I really liked the translation to "Indifference". It is a Pearl Jam title to one of their best songs that express their feelings on the inability to make any kind of difference in the world...no matter how much they stand their ground. It kind of reminds me of that famous quote from the novel The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier, "DO I DARE DISTURB THE UNIVERSE"

Anyways, some of the lyrics to the song go like this:

"I will hold the candle 'till burns up my arm,
I'll keep takin' punches until their their will grows tired.
I will stare the sun down, until my eyes go blind.
I wont change direction, and I wont change my mind.
How much difference does it make?

I will swallow poison, until I grow immune
I will screem my lungs out, till it, fills this room...
How much difference does it make?"

Does this help you better understand the word..??? Would you keep you original translation..???

Someone I know had suggested, "aequalitas" as in, two things are the same...what do you think??

Thanks once again
Paolo