Xerographis Pingendarum

Patricius

...Decanus, qui imaginum xerographis pingendarum peritus erat.... Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis p 148.

This is supposed to mean "drawing" but I can make no sense of the syntax. Can someone please help?

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

"Dean, who was skilled in depicting images with/in xerographs" is what it says.

What xerographs are, or what exactly the translator is trying to say, I don't know; since this is nonce Latin and the original English passage will no doubt explain the mystery anyway, it hardly matters.

Patricius

"Dean, who was skilled in depicting images with/in xerographs" is what it says.

What xerographs are, or what exactly the translator is trying to say, I don't know; since this is nonce Latin and the original English passage will no doubt explain the mystery anyway, it hardly matters.
Thank you. The original says simply "drawing" so I suppose he is trying to distinguish the sort of images he means from painted ones, which would be "wet," at least until the paint dries. You are of course right that it doesn't matter much, but one owes the writer at least a passing effort to figure out what he means. I wonder why he didn't just use "delineare."

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Could it be photocopies, as in the Xerox Corporation?

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Wiktionary does say that those are photocopies, and oxford dictionary says this for xerography: "A dry copying process in which black or coloured powder adheres to parts of a surface remaining electrically charged after being exposed to light from an image of the document to be copied." So I guess it's a fancy way of saying "photocopying process".

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/xerography

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The mystery then is why use that to translate "drawing"?