Tattoo You don't own me

Ellalunaz

Hi Guys,

I'm really struggling to find any sort of legitimate site or service for Latin translation. I will pay, I just need the translation to be correct. My partner passed unexpectedly a year ago and this tattoo is in memorandum. I took years of Latin and I thought this short translation would be simple. Well, I vastly overestimated how much I remember. I know enough to know the auto translate sites are off, but I'm completely stuck right now.

To put this into context, the quote is from Leslie Gore's song, "You don't own me".

I think where I'm struggling the most is to contextualize the translation. Her lyrics sound like they may be about a particular man, but I think it's also meant "you" in a broader, societal sense.

Can anyone help or point me in the direction of a vetted, reliable source that can? As I stated, I certainly don't mind paying. This translation will be permanently on my body, so I just want to be sure it's accurate. No pressure lol

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I'll give Sum non tuus, or sum non tua, depending if it's a male or female.
You can change the word order.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

It translates back as "I'm not yours."

Which may be too tame or not.

On the other hand, something like "non sum ancilla" or "non sum servus" - "I am not your slave" might be too harsh, or not.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It translates back as "I'm not yours."

Which may be too tame or not.

On the other hand, something like "non sum ancilla" or "non sum servus" - "I am not your slave" might be too harsh, or not.

Perhaps

tu non es dominus meus / domina mea.

You are not my master / lord / manager / controller.

Ellalunaz

You guys are great! I think "I'm not yours" is perfect-- it fits the message of who I'm memorializing. "I'm not your slave" might be a bit harsh for my intention. Thank you all so so much

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You could also say

te penes non sum.

I am not under your control / in your power.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Just to be clear it should be sum non tua, since you're female. The person you're memorializing is not relevant.

Has Gregorius been around lately?
He used to translate songs on a regular basis.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris