You know you're a Latin junkie when...

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
When you keep reading the title "De wonderbare maagd Sinte Amelberga" as "On/of the wonderful maiden Saint Amelia" even though you know (albeit hardly knowing any Dutch) that this "de" is actually a definite article.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
What struck me, having looked up Amalberga (van Temse – not to be confused with Amalberga van Susteren or Amalberga van Maubeuge, as I might have done five minutes ago had I ever heard of any of them), was that wonderbare here must have a strictly etymological sense of 'associated with miracles'. But the English word 'wonderful' has never had that meaning, according to the OED – which I find rather hard to believe.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
"Miraculous", then? I was actually unsure what word to use.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Maybe, or possibly call her a miracle worker. Is she well-known in your part of the world? In the sense that you'd be quite likely to find people who were aware that she was reputed to have crossed a river riding a fish, much as we know St George killed a dragon and St Christopher carried Christ across a river.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Is she well-known in your part of the world?
Not as far as I know. She wasn't to me, at any rate, until I was asked to translate her life from Latin to English. That's how I came upon the above title on Google Books when comparing versions (the title is Dutch, but the book contains the Latin).

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
You read this:

"una ruptura de las reglas de coherencia de un TT, sean éstas de tipo gramatical, de combinabilidad léxica, congruencia semántica o de conformidad al conocimiento del mundo y de la experiencia acumulada"

And you think for a split second "Wrong case".

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
When you hear the following sentence on the news and very much feel the (most likely unintentional) irony in it:

"Aucun dirigeant des 28 pays européens n'a félicité Félix Tshisekedi."

(It means "No leader of the 28 Europeans countries has congratulated/felicitated Félix Tshisekedi".)

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
When you see the name Mavis as māvīs

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
When you misread "LA FIN DE L'URSS" ("THE END OF THE USSR") as "LA FIN DE L'URBS". :confused:

I once had an argument with me friends because I insisted it to be “magna double” since that is the plural of “magnum.”

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
When this annoying "motivational" thing sounds to you as if whoever wrote it is telling you to be less them.

Less ego.jpg

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
I hate how it's a whole set of adjectives and then the last one is a noun