You know you're a Latin junkie when...

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

You know you're a Latin junkie when you are so used to randomly inserting Latin phrases like "gratias" and "optime!" into conversation that you accidentally say "Gratias" to your science teacher (who does not know Latin). :D

Lysandra

Canis

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

You know you're a Latin junkie when you are so used to randomly inserting Latin phrases like "gratias" and "optime!" into conversation that you accidentally say "Gratias" to your science teacher (who does not know Latin). :D
I can totally relate to this. I had to stop myself from saying "saluete omnes" to my Politics class yesterday. :D

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

When some Latin quote or phrase pops up in a movie and people automatically look to you for a translation.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Banned because I've been swamped by a lengthy Greek text that I need to read for a quiz tomorrow. :(
You know you're a Latin junkie when you pause while writing the above, search in vain for a concise English equivalent of legendus, and briefly consider just writing the whole sentence in Latin.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I've had similar experiences.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I've had similar experiences.
Me too. You know you're a Latin junkie when you're writing an essay and end up looking up a Latin word (which came to mind first) to find possible English equivalents. :D

(While I was writing my Good Human Conduct essay, there was one point at which I could think of two Latin words to embody the concept I wanted, but no English equivalent that fit precisely. I wanted to talk about "promoting/cultivating/encouraging virtue in young people"; colo and foveo seemed to fit that range of meanings well, but I couldn't think of one English word that encompassed them all. In the end I went to L&S for ideas. :D)

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

You know you're not only a Latin junkie, but a crazy Latin junkie, when you have the following exchange with your cat (who has already been fed plenty of food, yes):

Cat (demanding food): "Meow! Meoooww! Meeeeeoooowwwwwwww!"
Me (to cat): "Shut up! I don't know why you always think you need to eat more food than you need to eat."
Me (to self): "Wow, that sentence would be so much less ambiguous in Latin."

:D

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

What's ambiguous in the English?
Well, it sort of sounds like the cat is thinking he needs to eat more food than (he thinks/knows) he needs to eat (i.e. if it were in acc-inf, this would be in subjunctive); whereas I meant that the cat is always thinking he needs to eat more food than (in actual fact) he needs to eat (i.e. indicative if it were in acc-inf).

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

This happened to me today.
You know you're a Latin junkie when you're having a conversation with your friends at lunch (about Latin class and other related matters) and someone else at your table (whom you barely know) says "Do you ever talk about anything except Latin? I've never heard you talking about anything else." :D

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

This happened to me today.
You know you're a Latin junkie when you're having a conversation with your friends at lunch (about Latin class and other related matters) and someone else at your table (whom you barely know) says "Do you ever talk about anything except Latin? I've never heard you talking about anything else." :D
Maybe you should go watch some popular movies or sports or such just to expand your range of conversational topics a bit. ;)

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

You know you're a Latin junkie when you're having a conversation with your friends at lunch (about Latin class and other related matters)
You've mentioned you have friends in that class that also like Latin and are good at it. So not everyone in that class is hopeless, then? Or are the friends in question in a higher class or something?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

You've mentioned you have friends in that class that also like Latin and are good at it. So not everyone in that class is hopeless, then? Or are the friends in question in a higher class or something?
They're in the same level of Latin class, but in a different section (they don't have it at the same period as I do).

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

They're in the same level of Latin class, but in a different section (they don't have it at the same period as I do).
:( How did you end up in the class with all the people who don't care? That sucks.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

It's random distribution.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Maybe you should go watch some popular movies or sports or such just to expand your range of conversational topics a bit. ;)
On second thought, (most) popular movies are boring. Latin, however, is fun. :D I would've liked to be at your guys' table in high school.