Tattoo You never split with your loved ones - only stop living next to them

Alex662

I don't understand either how the priest's translation is more "emotional" than ours. There's no such difference, really.

If you say that there's no "we" or "you" in the Russian, I gather it's just an impersonal construction. An impersonal construction isn't really possible in this case in Latin, but both "you' and "we" can express something general.

If you take the "we" version, remove nos which has nothing to do there in such a context, really. It would be used to put emphasis on a certain, definite "we" as opposed to others, while your sentence is just said "in general".

Everyone had agreed that discedere was a good verb to use in this context. Now does everyone also agree for separari? Can it mean non physical separation?
The verb cessare also tends to suggest an element of remissness in the person ceasing from the activity, whereas desinere does not. I doesn't seem like that kind of nuance is intended here.

ok, i'll explain it as best as i can (excuse me for making this thread way longer than he should be, im just so confused.)

first part:
с (with) любимыми (loved ones) не (not) расстаются (parted)
notice there is not you or we. it basicly means that you\me\anyone doesnt split with your loved ones (after they pass away).

i can go with either Non discedis a dilectis or Nos non sepramur a dilectis nostris? is there any differnce?

the next part goes: лишь (rather) рядом (close) быть (being) перестают (stop). again, there isnt "you" or "we".

should i go with Sed tantum apud illos vivere cessamus or iuxta eos vivere solum desinis?
and can you please explain the diffrence between apud and iuxta? there must be some kind of diffrence.

thank you for your time, hope that you can understand my confusion.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

apud = among/with

iuxta = next to/beside/near

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

i can go with either Non discedis a dilectis or Nos non sepramur a dilectis nostris? is there any differnce?
From a semantic perspective, no. From a grammatical perspective, yes.

In Nos non separamur a dilectis nostris, I think nos (personal pronoun "we") adds undue emphasis to the phrase, and as you said, there is no "we" explicitly stated in the original Russian. In addition, I'm not sure separamur can refer to a "mental" (for lack of a more apt term) separation.
should i go with Sed tantum apud illos vivere cessamus or iuxta eos vivere solum desinis?
I would choose the latter; iuxta is closer to the original, it seems, and IR said cessamus introduces an unneeded nuance.

Alex662

From a semantic perspective, no. From a grammatical perspective, yes.

In Nos non separamur a dilectis nostris, I think nos (personal pronoun "we") adds undue emphasis to the phrase, and as you said, there is no "we" explicitly stated in the original Russian. In addition, I'm not sure separamur can refer to a "mental" (for lack of a more apt term) separation.

I would choose the latter; iuxta is closer to the original, it seems, and IR said cessamus introduces an unneeded nuance.
ok, so the best translate would be:?
Non discedis a dilectis - iuxta eos vivere solum desinis

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

If you want my personal opinion, it would be this: Non discedimus a dilectis - iuxta eos vivere tantum desinimus.

Edit: Oops. Hadn't seen that you had written a translation there. My version uses "we" rather than "you" as the subject. Choose whichever you prefer.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

ok, so the best translate would be:?
Non discedis a dilectis - iuxta eos vivere solum desinis
That's the closest to a literal translation of your original request.

Alex662

If you want my personal opinion, it would be this: Non discedimus a dilectis - iuxta eos vivere tantum desinimus.

Edit: Oops. Hadn't seen that you had written a translation there. My version uses "we" rather than "you" as the subject. Choose whichever you prefer.
thank you. whats the diffrence between solum desinis and tantum desinimus

That's the closest to a literal translation of your original request.
thank you.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

thank you. whats the diffrence between solum desinis andtantum desinimus
If you mean between solum and tantum, almost nothing.

Ignis Umbra already explained above why the verb endings are different.

Alex662

If you mean between solum and tantum, almost nothing.

Ignis Umbra already explained above why the verb endings are different.
ok, i went with Non discedimus a dilectis - iuxta eos vivere tantum desinimus.

one last question: in the translate, but loved ones it means like a mother or a grandmother right? not a lover?
thank you.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

one last question: in the translate, but loved ones it means like a mother or a grandmother right? not a lover?
Dilectis is very literally "those having been loved" which has been shortened in the translation to "loved ones"; it can refer to anyone.

Alex662

Dilectis is very literally "those having been loved" which has been shortened in the translation to "loved ones"; it can refer to anyone.
thank you very much for your help, i really appreciate it. hopefully i wont come across anymore questions :)
have a good day.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

You are most welcome. :)