You'll never walk alone

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Vadere is a little more specific than ambulare (see def.). About unus vs. solus, it was just a feeling that the latter looked better in this context, but I may well be wrong.

Shaft120

Hi, I'm getting married and would like to create a family crest, and embroider a couple of our wedding outfits with a motto in Latin. I was thinking of a play on the lyric, you will never walk alone. There were several suggestions and translations on this varying in masculine / feminine attribution to either a singular or multiple entity. I'd found ”numquam solus incedere", as one possible, but would like to get this right in the context of what I am doing here, so any suggestions would be most helpful!

Thanks

AndrewEarthrise

There are a couple ways of saying "never walk alone"

Nunquam solus/a ambulare
Numquam solus/a vadere
Numquam solus/a ire

Ire and vadere both also mean "to go"; if you want to alone to be masculine, it is "solus", for feminine, "sola".

Shaft120

Hmm - thanks for the tip. Several options . I'm not sure which of either masculine or feminine should apply here - I've also found:

Numquam solus ambulabis
or
Numquam soli ambulabitis
or
Soli Numquam vadetis

As suggested alternatives. As this would be applying to a statement of assertion as in a family motto - what would be the best version to use do you think? It needs to represent a promise to each other as much as anything else I suppose, but something that our children can aspire to as well.

Thanks for all your help with this. I dropped out of latin to study classics at 11! serves me right....

AndrewEarthrise

Well if it is a motto for the whole family, "Numquam soli vadetis" or "Numquam soli ambulabitis" sound optimal to me, as they are plural.

Ambulabitis: You (pl.) will walk
Vadetis: You (pl.) will go/walk

It is your choice.