your dreams die within, so why not wake up?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

What do you mean by "dreams"? Figurative senses of that word can be difficult to translate into Latin. Have you looked at this thread?

D

Deleted member 13757

Something close to that to start:

Desideria in visibus somniorum moriuntur, quin igitur surgis?

Your desires die in your dreams, why not wake up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Why not" before a suggestion/near-imperative is usually quin (+ indicative). Quidni is used in situations where you mean more like "Why would that not be the case? (Of course it is.)".

Also, to be precise, surgere is more like "to get up". "To wake up" would be expergisci, (e)vigilare...

Why do you prefer in visibus somniorum to simply in somniis?

Whatever the case, though, the wordplay is lost in translation, but well... I guess we can hardly do better.

D

Deleted member 13757

Why do you prefer in visibus somniorum to simply in somniis?
I like how it is said in Cic. Tusc.

Magna me' inquit 'spes tenet, iudices, bene mihi evenire, quod mittar ad mortem. necesse est enim sit alterum de duobus, ut aut sensus omnino omnes mors auferat aut in alium quendam locum ex his locis migretur. quam ob rem, sive sensus extinguitur morsque ei somno similis est, qui non numquam etiam sine visis somniorum placatissimam quietem adfert.

"I have a strong hope," he says," that it will be happy for me, judges, that I am doomed to death. For one of two things must of necessity be the case, — either that death takes away consciousness altogether, or that at death one migrates from these regions to some other place. But if consciousness is blotted out, and death is like that sleep which, unbroken by dreams, sometimes gives us supremely peaceful rest.

Somnium - the state of being asleep
Visus somniorum - that which we see in our sleep

Also, to be precise, surgere is more like "to get up". "To wake up" would be expergisci, (e)vigilare...
Sure. But since we already touched on sleep, surge (get up) should be well understood for wake up.

Also from Cic. Tusc.

"Mater, te appello, tu, quae curam somno suspensam levas, Neque te mei miseret, surge et sepeli natum"

"Why not" before a suggestion/near-imperative is usually quin (+ indicative). Quidni is used in situations where you mean more like "Why would that not be the case? (Of course it is.)"
Cool. Corrected.

actually, figurative dreams would make more sense. it basically means that aspirations are meant to die as a result of the self that generated them, not due to the real world.