Your first computer?

Akela

sum
Staff member
Do you remember your first computer? I had this old 15" laptop PC that took 10 or 15 minutes to start up. I would turn it on when I came from school and then make myself a snack while the thing was starting up. Now that I think about it, sounds completely ridiculous, no?

OK, I gotta stop, my iBook is jealous: it says it wasn't my first love. :mrgreen:
While I am calming my little mac friend down, what was your first computer?

Jason210

A Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K. It had a 4MHz 8-bit processor and screen resolution of 128 x 256. Data was stored on audio cassettes and loaded through the ear jack of an ordinary tape player, via analogue signal. Loading a game could take 10 minutes, if you were lucky!! :)

A

Anonymous

Hi

My first PC was a windows 95 with a whopping 100mhz intel processor and an ATI mach 3 video card also with 32 MB of RAM and 1 GB hardrive.

I turn it on today and it still works. :p

A

Anonymous

my first

My first computer was in 1983 it was a tandy corperation mc10 had a whopping .89 mhz processor with 4 kb ram 8 kb of rom and a screen resolution of 32x 16 yea you wanna talk speed lol

sparkliebunny

my first computer? *looks at floor sees her first computer lying in bits* is that!! i took it apart (when i got this one) to see how it worked and erm got stuck after that! lol :doh:

Akela

sum
Staff member
sparkliebunny dixit:
my first computer? *looks at floor sees her first computer lying in bits* is that!! i took it apart (when i got this one) to see how it worked and erm got stuck after that! lol :doh:
I can manage this trick even with curtain bars. Whatever I take apart, 40% chance I'll have extra parts left. Not that it slows me down...

poohbear246

My first computer was a laptop -- an old bulky Tandy with a blue screen. My frist desktop computer was a Hewlitt Packard computer with a Leading Edge Monitor. Or was it the other way around. :) It didn't have Windows, just DOS. When I booted it, a welcome screen came up with a menu: Word Processing, DOS, etc. (I can't recall what else was on it. :)) Does anyone remember the game on BASIC called Nibbles?

Akela: Horray for iBooks! :D

A

Anonymous

I (also) had a Sinclair ZX-81 Spectrum. Wonderful at the time :)

The Commodore 64 knocked on the door after that.

/nibo

A

Anonymous

Yep, the ZX Spectrum 48k was a real gem!!! Spent hours typing in massive lists of Hex code so I could get infinite lives on Sabre Wulf and the like :D

A

Anonymous

re:

My first computar was an IBM® 5150. The State of Minnesota provided my late foster mother a PC so that she could teach me how to program in COBOL, FORTRAN, Basic, and it think P/L do not recall. My late foster mother was a PhD board certified teacher for the sole purpose of homeschooling a few student, but I was the only one since my foster parent adopted me from an orphanage when I was 4 years old. Then from 1981-1988, I had completed, due to her aggressive and martial arts type of approach to teaching, like repetition, repetition, repetition, until I perfected the course. She tought me 6 hrs a day, 7 days a week. That was how I went through her curriculum so quickly. But later I found her method of teaching very complex courses not typically taught in grade school, etc, gave me a head start when I attended Texas A&M University. Long story. But that all I'm saying. A very lengthy explanation of the type of computer I first had. Now I have a Mac® G5 and an IBM® ThinkPad which are networked such that we have a min intranet. I use IBM® Tunneling VPN connection to conect to my registrant's ISP, via the IBM® secure server.

Regards, Nikki :)

A

Anonymous

When I was two my dad got one of the original Macs. It had a nine inch monitor and something like 128K of RAM. Still, it was far and away the most advanced piece of technology that my family owned since, at the time, we had no microwave, television, or indoor toilet.

A

Anonymous

Acorn Electron 32K....hahaha....what a piece of kit that was

Sam

I haven't a clue what it was called - but I remember the buttons being really squidgy. I also remember my brother being so happy that we had it - but I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to do with it. :lol:

Volatica Aquila

my first computer was given to me by my grandfather when I was like 11. I was old school. it ran on ms dos, and didn't even have a color screen.

kmp

Civis Illustris
My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 with 1K of memory. (I bought a 16K expansion pack). How long ago that was and how old am I now!

Of course, the sinclair was unworkable really. My first proper computer was an Amstrad CPC464 with 64K.

I always wanted an Amiga or an Atari ST, but for some reason I never had the cash to buy one. This is a great regret to me.

Then the PC came in at work and I was sucked into the world of MS-DOS and later Windows.

Now I'm a LInux user and a lot happier.

A

Anonymous

An Amiga 2000! If anyone even remembers those..

Very advanced for it's time. Had full blown GUI while all my PC buddies were still using DOS.