"You're not them"

majsia11

Hello,

I would like to ask for a translation of "You're not them" or "You are not them" into Latin. Moreover, I have a question regarding this: is there a difference between "You're not them" and "You are not them" when translated to Latin? Is one of them more correct/"natural sounding" than the other?
If that helps, "them" refers to parents, who suck sometimes, so the context for the phrase is a reminder that "even though you came from your parents, they might have done bad things to you, and might be awful people in general, even though you're similar to them, you have a choice to be different, their bad actions are not yours, and do not define you as a person".

Thank you in advance for your help!

Maria

URL: https://able2know.org/topic/552511-1

majsia11

Wow, thank you for the fast reply! It is supposed to be a tattoo so I guess I have additional question since I'm clueless regarding this topic: I have read on another forum (I believe it was able2know) that all words should start with capital letters/all letters should be capitalized, and instead of "u", "v" should be used. Is that correct, in order to make it most proper?

B

Bitmap

I have read on another forum (I believe it was able2know) that all words should start with capital letters/all letters should be capitalized, and instead of "u", "v" should be used. Is that correct, in order to make it most proper?
There are different conventions, and it's a matter of personal preference.

The Ancients themselves at classical times didn't have minuscles indeed and also no u-v distinction in spelling. That would give you TV NON ES ILLI.

The tu/TV is optional btw. It can be added for emphasis and I decided to add it because of the you<>them distinction.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The Ancients themselves at classical times didn't have minuscles
Cursive was rather like minuscule, wasn't it? Where they wrote in (what we call) all caps was on monuments and the like.

In cursive, Us and Vs all looked like Us, I think, while in monumental style they all looked like Vs.

B

Bitmap

In cursive, Us and Vs all looked like Us, I think, while in monumental style they all looked like Vs.
Do you mean something like that?

It does have round U's.
Maybe I'm using the word "minuscule" wrong, but to me that involves lower-case letters.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Maybe I'm using the word "minuscule" wrong, but to me that involves lower-case letters.
To me too. The fragment you've posted does look like majuscule even though it has Us, but I think some forms of cursive script were a bit more like minuscule. I'm saying "like" because, well, it wasn't exactly the same as our lower case and we're only drawing comparisons between ancient concepts and modern ones. See the picture here. Some of the letters look like our majuscules, some like our minuscules. In any case it's different from the monumental style that looks pretty much identical to our all caps.