Our summer made her light escape into the beautiful

lisamazingg

"Our summer made her light escape into the beautiful" it's written by emily dickinson in her poem imperceptibly as grief. If anyone could translate it precisely i would be very very grateful! :mrgreen:

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Re: Poem line translation!!!!

lisamazingg dixit:
"Our summer made her light escape into the beautiful" it's written by emily dickinson in her poem imperceptibly as grief. If anyone could translate it precisely i would be very very grateful! :mrgreen:
Literally, Aestas nostra effecit ut lumen eius in pulchritudinem elaberetur. But there are three issues here:

1. Latin doesn't casually distinguish between "his" and "her", so the word eius could be translated as "his" or her". We could make it more explicit by substituting erae - "the lady's".

2. "Into the beautiful" is an enigmatic phrase; I have tried to render this with in pulchitudinam - "Into the beauty", but I'm not sure this fits the context of the poem (I'm not familiar with this line from Dickinson).

3. It seems obvious Dickinson is using a metaphor for death in this line, which is why I've translated "light" as lumen, a word sometimes associated with the light of life. But again, without knowing the complete context, I could be way off here...

Any other suggestions are welcome.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Re: Poem line translation!!!!

http://inamidst.com/dickinson/s5/

As imperceptibly as Grief
The Summer lapsed away —
Too imperceptible at last
To seem like Perfidy —
A Quietness distilled
As Twilight long begun,
Or Nature spending with herself
Sequestered Afternoon —
The Dusk drew earlier in —
The Morning foreign shone —
A courteous, yet harrowing Grace,
As Guest, that would be gone —
And thus, without a Wing
Or service of a Keel
Our Summer made her light escape
Into the Beautiful.

I think "her" refers to Summer (luckily Aestas is feminine). Also I was a bit perplexed on whether "light" was lumen (light from the sun) or levis (not heavy, as in a "light touch" -- the imperceptible disappearance of summer).