Accademia Vivarium Novum

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'd be interested to know more about their Campus of Humanism if someone knows exactly what's going on there.
About their magazine, that's 50€ sure but only a biannual. Maybe when I'm more skilled in Latin, I'll buy it.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I must say their magazine looks interesting
But apparently not shy of courting controversy:

"It is clear to everyone that traditional methods of learning Latin lead to poor results, and these only after much time and effort."

"...those who can speak and write the ancient languages will have a much more exact, much more stylistically adept sense of their mother tongue."

"those were never lacking who, out of laziness or malice, or a vulnerability to the allure of false arguments, were moved to oppose its otherwise uninterrupted usage. These days, when the nobility of speaking and writing an ancient language can easily be conflated with the absurdities of those who make a gimmick of their Latinity, the practice is often derided out of hand."

On a more general note, Vivarium Novum would benefit from toning down its sometimes rather too insistent socio-political message and simply concentrating on teaching Latin.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

But apparently not shy of courting controversy:

"It is clear to everyone that traditional methods of learning Latin lead to poor results, and these only after much time and effort."

"...those who can speak and write the ancient languages will have a much more exact, much more stylistically adept sense of their mother tongue."

"those were never lacking who, out of laziness or malice, or a vulnerability to the allure of false arguments, were moved to oppose its otherwise uninterrupted usage. These days, when the nobility of speaking and writing an ancient language can easily be conflated with the absurdities of those who make a gimmick of their Latinity, the practice is often derided out of hand."

On a more general note, Vivarium Novum would benefit from toning down its sometimes rather too insistent socio-political message and simply concentrating on teaching Latin.
It doesn't help that they refuse instruction to 50% of their potential student population on the basis of being the "wrong" gender.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It doesn't help that they refuse instruction to 50% of their potential student population on the basis of being the "wrong" gender.
What? Why? How do they justify that?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

What? Why? How do they justify that?
"Since the Academy is now housed in a building which belongs to a religious order, male students alone are accepted."

You're also not allowed to play any music except "classical music" (how exactly they define that I'm not sure) and to dress in any "unconventional" manner.
Essentially it's a monastery for (male) Latinists of 16-25. ;)

https://vivariumnovum.net/en/admission

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

LOL, exactly my reaction when I found that out. I didn't know whether to be more disappointed that I could never be accepted as a student there (because it would be sort of cool to be immersed in Latin like that) or angry that they don't consider me, as a woman, to be worth teaching. More the latter, though, I think. :mad:

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

LOL, exactly my reaction when I found that out. I didn't know whether to be more disappointed that I could never be accepted as a student there (because it would be sort of cool to be immersed in Latin like that) or angry that they don't consider me, as a woman, to be worth teaching. More the latter, though, I think. :mad:
It's gonna change with Villa Mondragone I hope.
It's not the intention of Miraglia to exclude women, he just did with what he could, and at the time that was a religious order's place I assume.
Some of the requirements are indeed kind of funny. No beard, no tattoo, no shaven head nor too long hair,... Don't touch animals,...

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

It's gonna change with Villa Mondragone I hope.
Oh, they're moving to a new location? That's good, I guess...let's hope that things do change.

Some of the requirements are indeed kind of funny. No beard, no tattoo, no shaven head nor too long hair,... Don't touch animals,...
Don't touch animals?!? How bizarre. o_O

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

It's in the sanitary rules. It's only in italian and latin on the website.
https://vivariumnovum.net/la/admissio/normae-hygienicae
Well, I can see requesting people to wash their hands after touching animals, that's just common sense, but to avoid touching them? How bizarre.

CANES, FELES ET ALIAE BESTIAE QUAM MINIMUM SUNT TANGENDI; SI QUIS TETIGERIT, BENE LAVET MANUS.
LOL, now I'm picturing a sign like this up in Ancient Rome (outside the entrance to the baths or something) :D

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

As for Villa Mondragone, it's going to be an International Campus of Humanism apparently, with its magazine, Mantinea.
Its Miraglia's intention, and others around him, to revive humanism.
I'll quote myself :
The annual opening conference yes.
A video
I've only been able to find the first one for Mercurius, I don't know if there has been others.
Apparently, there is gonna be a new one : Mantinea.
The page on the website :
https://vivariumnovum.it/mantinea

well I had been on the website recently and apparently it's changed already, good news I hope. There were not this much pages about mantinea, and we can buy the first number which is already out, so great news ! And when I say recently, it was recently, like less than a week.

But we've gone far away from the OP.
I hope we've not deterred him from posting and that he'll explain what he meant. :D

edit : I think a thread on the Academia would do nice.
But I'm not sure in which section to post it and anyway some may be more fit to do it.
About Mantinea, if you want to buy it :
https://vivariumnovum.it/catalogo/mantinea-2015
I guess the 66 pages are just an excerpt. That's 50€, this is not nothing.
Well, that's more than 400 pages.
After this post, Claudilla created this thread.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Okay, some of these are downright bizarre:

INSECTA ARCENDA SUNT ET AMOVENDA, NON OCCIDENDA.

So I can't swat a mosquito if it's trying to bite me? o_O

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

There are some others really bizarre. I guess the have had a bunch of students not particularly keen on hygiene.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

LOL, like the one about not eating food if it falls on the floor. I should *think* that would go without saying... :eek:

Hawkwood

• Civis

This isn't really adding anything to the debate as such but I don't find the above really that bizarre to be fair as I wouldn't swat a fly, a mosquito or any living thing myself.

That said I've not been in a position where one of them is trying to bite me but even so I know I'd just run away (like I do with bees and wasps) as opposed to swatting them.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

This isn't really adding anything to the debate as such but I don't find the above really that bizarre to be fair as I wouldn't swat a fly, a mosquito or any living thing myself.

That said I've not been in a position where one of them is trying to bite me but even so I'd probably just run away (like I do with bees and wasps).
You haven't been in Canada then ;)

Now, mind you, I don't just kill insects indiscriminately as some do. I try to rescue them and take them outside when I can and they're not dangerous (though I drew the line at the black widows I found once behind my couch :eek: ). But if it's trying to bite me, well, I consider that crossing the line.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

That said I've not been in a position where one of them is trying to bite me but even so I know I'd just run away as opposed to swatting (like I do with bees and wasps).
You've just said approximately what I was about to say myself. I never kill insects either (not on purpose at any rate).