I raise, i came, i conquered

Israelgranja

Hello, by any chance would you know the meaning of raise up? I want to make a tattoo with Julius Caesar’s “Veni Vidi Vici” with a small change. Instead of “ I am, I saw, I conquered” i want it to say I RAISE, I CAME, I CONQUERED. Hope you can help me.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

It would best be translated as SUSTULI, VENI, VICI; but this does not preserve the nice alliteration and equal syllable numbers.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In what sense do you mean "raise" here?

Also, was "raise" just a typo for "raised"?
Instead of “ I am, I saw, I conquered”
Veni, vidi, vici means "I came, I saw, I conquered", not "I am, I saw, I conquered".

Israelgranja

Hello! So I want to make a tattoo using the famous phrase Veni Vidi Vici but with a little variaton. Instead of I came, I saw, I conquered I would like it to be I raise, I came, I conquered. Why I raised? Because I experienced many difficult times, they draw me down but I got able to rise up, i got focus on what I wanted to achieve and I made ir happened. What would the best translation be? I hope you can help me.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello again,

I'm still not sure what you mean by "raise". Raise what? Can you explain? I'm thinking perhaps you rather mean "rise" or "rose".

Israelgranja

Hello again,

I'm still not sure what you mean by "raise". Raise what? Can you explain? I'm thinking perhaps you rather mean "rise" or "rose".
Thanks Pacifica for your answer. It means that I raise myself up. I experienced a lot of difficult times in my life and they really draw me down to a point of almost destroying my life. I got focused on what I wanted and work for it untill i got it (I conquered it).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It means that I raise myself up.
So that's basically equivalent to "rise", right?

Another thing that troubles me a bit is the tenses. It feels a bit weird to me to have "raise" in present tense and then "came" and "conquered" in past tense. It feels as if you should be referring either to those three things happening in the past, or to those three things happening in the present, but one in the present and the other two in the past sounds weird. Is there any particular reason for that mix of tenses? Do you mean "I raise now because I came and conquered in the past" or something like that?

aegor

magister

• Civis Illustris

tollo = "I raise up" something
surgo = "I rise" or "I raise myself up"

tollo when used reflexively (e.g. "I raised myself up") often has a prepositional phrase indicating the endpoint: clamor magnus se tollit ad auras, "the great shout/noise lifts itself to the breezes [i.e. up into the sky]." If you want to say merely, "I raised myself up," surgo works unless you really, really need to focus on the action of raising yourself up.

Israelgranja

So that's basically equivalent to "rise", right?

Another thing that troubles me a bit is the tenses. It feels a bit weird to me to have "raise" in present tense and then "came" and "conquered" in past tense. It feels as if you should be referring either to those three things happening in the past, or to those three things happening in the present, but one in the present and the other two in the past sounds weird. Is there any particular reason for that mix of tenses? Do you mean "I raise now because I came and conquered in the past" or something like that?[/quote

So sorry, English its not my native language. Answering your questiona: 1) yes, its equivalent to rise. 2)The three are in the past. So I guess it’s “I rose”. I mean is that first I was down, then I rose, I came and I conquered

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

OK!

Then surrexi, veni, vici means "I rose, I came, I conquered".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You can also say resurrexi, "I rose back/again" as in after a fall. Surrexi can be after a fall too, but resurrexi makes it more explicit.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I merged the threads.

Israelgranja

Please don't make duplicate threads in different forums for next time. Thank you.