Live Latin Chat / Latin IRC channel

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

So, what may in the learning curves of modern languages equal to "having a conversation with the native speakers", in Latin the "conversation with the natives" really just means reading the Romans : ) That needs to be realized across the chatting communities where oblivious beginners come :)

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

And what in the learning curves of the modern languages equals to "listening to the language in order to learn the pronunciation" will ultimately in Latin equal to "listening to yourself as you read your Latin ALOUD slowly but paying the utmost attention to the correct pronunciation of consonants, vowels and their qualities and quantities".

But I'm not joking, my pronunciation has improved incredibly after I did hours upon hours of this kind of LOUD reading, I then later felt as if my own voice resounded in my head when I attempted to read something new using the correct way of reading (or more correct than before when I didn't care about pronunciation much) => I suddenly was able to imitate my former self! Listening to oneself really can have an effect and it's a giant difference from just "reading it silently or in your mind".

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

that's weird ... not only do they misgender locus, I don't even know any language where a toilet would be called 'secret place' ...
They don't misgender it, I just didn't bother to correct a typo in I.'s post : ) The phrase is used often in some neo-latin publications, maybe also some books (Harrius Potter), so it's not entirely their fabrication...

B

Bitmap

Is that some sort of acronym?

I'm not sure how to put that in a charming way ... "The method you present proposes neologisms that make no sense at all, but I appreciate the effort." ?!

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

In case, someone wanted to visit via web, not using an IRC client, you can through here https://web.libera.chat/##Latin

(I'm [almost] always online on evenings for a while. In the mean time, you can try to teach some beginners Latin. But many people there just idle and read the written content, which is how IRC often works... )

I can't get this to work and I'm a computer programmer. I downloaded some files but there are no instructions. I shouldn't have to do a research project in order to get an app to work.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I can't get this to work and I'm a computer programmer. I downloaded some files but there are no instructions. I shouldn't have to do a research project in order to get an app to work.
IRC is not an app, it's an old established simple chatting network protocol. Number of large servers in the world use the protocol and you download one of hundreds IRC clients (like mIRC) to connect to the server I give you the address of.

This servers is: irc.libera.chat
The name of the channel: ##latin

(IRC networks are used today MOSTLY by computer programmers who also have other interests, like Latin)

However, if you read the last post in this thread, I happened to give a link to a web-based client, all you need to do is to click on it, put there your nickname and hit "Connect". That doesn't really require any research at all!

In case, someone wanted to visit via web, not using an IRC client, you can through here https://web.libera.chat/##Latin

Last edited:

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Salvete omnibus latinantibus
Invito al gruppo WhatsApp
Grex ad latine Whatsappandum nuperrime conditus est. Celerrime sodales collegit, exinde suadeo vobis in gregem intrare quantocius quoniam fere omnes participes sunt in eo atque ex toto orbe terrarum congregaverunt gentes apud eum.
Grex meus non est nihilque ad me pertinent eos qui gregem condiderunt, propterea non est mihi in votis hic "spammare" -verborum semine spargere notitias molestas-. Ad hoc quod diei est plerique congregantium ex Italia et Latinamerica orti sunt.
Pax vobis.