Short Bible Passage

Nicolavs Iacobvs

• Patronus

“We glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance (produces), character; and character (produces), hope.”

Happy to pay for a Classical translation, if a method of payment can be found.

Many thanks in advance!

B

Bitmap

@Pacifica is the only one I am currently aware of who offers paid translations on here. Because she is young and needs the money. If you're looking for a more comprehensive translation that would require some payment, you can also send her a private message. I can guarantuee that she is very good at Latin :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I would take this translation job, Nicolaus, but I must confess I'm a bit unsure how to handle it. Latin versions of this are already in existence, but you want a new, more classical-sounding one. That much I understand. Now, to what extent are you attached to that particular English version, and how much (or how little) regard do you want me to pay to the original Bible text? Should I translate "We glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance (produces), character; and character (produces), hope” just as if it were an original English sentence, or should I delve deeper into what was meant in the original, even if that gives a translation that corresponds less literally to the English?

Last edited:

Nicolavs Iacobvs

• Patronus

Should I translate "We glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance (produces), character; and character (produces), hope” just as if it were an original English sentence...
Yes please. That would be very much appreciated Pacifica, thank you. Do you want to PM me with a price? Thank you

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I will. First, please, can you clarify how you want me to take the word "character" here? My current interpretation of it is based on the original, for which "character" is perhaps a bit of a stretch as a translation. I would most probably have taken it differently if I'd read the English alone. Maybe your interpretation will be different, too.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Nicolaus has requested that I post the translation on this thread, rather than send it to him in private, so that others can enjoy it in the future, so here it is:

Gloriamur in aerumnis nostris, quod scimus ex aerumna perseverantiam, ex perseverantia animum, ex animo spem nasci.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's not a very big deal, I agree, but it's one more sign that all is not right with the forum (other strange things have happened).