Forcellini for GoldenDict

Tlepolemus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Is anybody here interested in use of Digital Forcellini (by @Godmy) in the desktop GoldenDict? I have made a wrapper downloading articles and slightly reformatting them for better representation. So, it's still an online dictionary but neatly incorporated into the application and may fit naturally with your offline dictionaries. Transformation is simple but I find it easier to read and comprehend (compare with original):

Forcellini-1.png

Last edited:

Tlepolemus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't use ThLL, so it's unlikely I will adapt it for GoldenDict, but I'll contact you in such case.

Big Horn

Is anybody here interested in use of Digital Forcellini (by @Godmy) in the desktop GoldenDict? I have made a wrapper downloading articles and slightly reformatting them for better representation. So, it's still an online dictionary but neatly incorporated into the application and may fit naturally with your offline dictionaries. Transformation is simple but I find it easier to read and comprehend (compare with original):

View attachment 8965
I'm interested.

pmp000

I have tried to install your wrapper on Linux Mint.

After following your instructions, GoldenDict says : Query error: The program has returned exit code 255.
So I tried to run your code directly in a terminal. There’s an indentation error on line 208. Quo correcto, the program does work in the terminal. Goldendict however is returning the same error.

Thanks for the program. Once I get it working in Goldendict, it should prove useful.

Edit: I got to the exact same point on MacOs. I had to install python 3 to make the code run.

Last edited:

Tlepolemus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I had to install python 3 to make the code run.
My bad, I forgot to say it requires Python 3. If your system by default uses Python 2, then change the command:

python3 /path/to/code/main.py %GDWORD%

I have updated the code (version v1.2). I use Forcellini everyday so it should be working, but feel free to contact me if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

pmp000

Ok thanks!
I managed to make it work on Mint by changing the command "python" to "python3".
I didn’t think about doing so because that’s the command I had been using in Goldendict on MacOS, trying to make it work, to no success.
I understand if you don’t intend on supporting MacOS, but here’s what I got if you want to take a look:

forcellini1.png

forcellini2.png

forcellini3.png

Tlepolemus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I understand if you don’t intend on supporting MacOS
I'm not experienced in software development for this platform, so can't be helpful for you. It seems, the script works correct, but GoldenDict can't catch the output (just a guess).

Tlepolemus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I installed macOS Catalina (10.15) on VirtualBox and made GoldenDict working. Here are my steps:

1. Install Homebrewer:
  2. Install Python 3:
    • brew install python
  3. Install libraries:
    • pip3 install --user requests lxml regex
  4. Grant GoldenDict access to the files, otherwise you will have "Operation not permitted" error:
    • open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy Tab
    • select Full Disk Access
    • add GoldenDict
  5. Download goldendict-forcellini and save to Documents.
  6. In GoldenDict, open Edit > Dictionaries > Programs, press Add, and fill the values:
    • Enabled: ☑ (check on)
    • Type: Html
    • Name: (on your choice)
    • Command Line: python3 /Users/user/Documents/forcellini/main.py %GDWORD%
      (fix path if you saved it to another directory)
Now it works.

Last edited: