Psallite sapienter - Sacred music

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I would like to create a thread that gathers:
-All kinds of musical settings based on or inspired by religious text or prayers. That means they might also be inspired by the Dammapada or even the Popol Vuh. The words, however, are required to be in Latin (exceptions are allowed when followed by a translation).
-Prayers in Latin (exceptions are allowed when followed by a translation)
Lately I've been experiencing a raising interest for sacred music and unusual prayers. Maybe I'm not the only one interested in this kind of stuff. I just thought it's worth a try.

Any religion is welcome but if you feel the urge to post satanism-related contents,
-Try to suppress it.
If you can't, remember:
-You can create another thread

Please enclose any controversial contents in a
Controversy must be kept at bay

E.G.:
-(Almost) everything Arvo Pärt has composed belongs here.
-Your latin version of Inno a Satana - "hymn to Satan" by the Nobel Prize in Literature Giosuè Carducci doesn't (you should, therefore, enclose it in a Spoiler).

I start out with Handel's Choral work based on David's Psalm, usually recited in Sunday's vespers. Link: PSALMUS 110
For some reason the video doesn't start at minute 0, but at some point in the middle.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

In 2015 Forbes listed Cupertino as one of the most Educated places in America. The city was named after Saint Joseph of Copertino, a Franciscan Friar who struggled with his studies so much that he is today remembered as the Patron of students. Students may address their prayers to Saint Thomas of Aquinas (Doctor Angelicus), the Child of Prague and Duns the Scot (Doctor Subtilis) as well. Saint Jerome, on the contrary, is the protector of erudites and translators.

Saint Joseph of Copertino wrote a prayer in Italian but, not being a particularly clever scholar, his latin production is virtually irrelevant. Maybe I'll venture myself in an unofficial translation.
On the contrary, Doctor Angelicus, authored a prayer just for this purpose.

Oratio Sancti Thomae Aquinatis ante studium
Creator ineffabilis
CREATOR ineffabilis, qui de thesauris sapientiae tuae tres Angelorum hierarchias designasti et eas super caelum empyreum miro ordine collocasti atque universi partes elegantissime distribuisti: Tu, inquam, qui verus fons luminis et sapientiae diceris ac supereminens principium, infundere digneris super intellectus mei tenebras tuae radium claritatis, duplices, in quibus natus sum, a me removens tenebras, peccatum scilicet et ignorantiam.
Tu, qui linguas infantium facis disertas, linguam meam erudias atque in labiis meis gratiam tuae benedictionis infundas.
Da mihi intelligendi acumen, retinendi capacitatem, addiscendi modum et facilitatem, interpretandi subtilitatem, loquendi gratiam copiosam.
Ingressum instruas, progressum dirigas, egressum compleas.
Tu, qui es verus Deus et homo, qui vivis et regnas in saecula saeculorum.
Amen.

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Giuseppe Verdi, Missa da Requiem: DIES IRAE

Dies irae dies illa,
Solvet saeclum in favilla:
Teste David cum Sibylla.

Quantus tremor est futurus,
Quando iudex est venturus,
Cuncta stricte discussurus!

Tuba mirum spargens sonum
Per sepulcra regionum
Coget omnes ante thronum.

Mors stupebit et natura,
Cum resurget creatura,
Iudicanti responsura.

&c.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Quando morietur, from "Stabat Mater" by Pergolesi.
Text: XIII century
Music: XVIII century
Here it is sung by an italian pop singer ("Mina") in 20-something

Quando corpus morietur,
fac, ut animae donetur
paradisi gloria.

According to wikipedia the autorship of this sequentia is disputed.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hymnus matutinus Aurelii Ambrosii

Aeterne rerum conditor,
noctem diemque qui regis,
et temporum das tempora,
ut alleves fastidium;

Praeco diei iam sonat,
noctis profundae pervigil,
nocturna lux viantibus
a nocte noctem segregans.

Hoc excitatus lucifer
solvit polum caligine,
hoc omnis erronum chorus
vias nocendi deserit.

Hoc nauta vires colligit
pontique mitescunt freta,
hoc ipsa petra ecclesiae
canente culpam diluit.

Surgamus ergo strenue!
Gallus iacentes excitat,
et somnolentos increpat,
Gallus negantes arguit.

Gallo canente spes redit,
aegris salus refunditur,
mucro latronis conditur,
lapsis fides revertitur.

Iesu, labentes respice, (in other versions labentes---> labantes, which fits in better IMHO)
et nos videndo corrige,
si respicis, lapsus cadunt,
fletuque culpa solvitur.

Tu lux refulge sensibus,
mentisque somnum discute,
te nostra vox primum sonet
et ore psallamus tibi. (in other versions et ore psallamus tibi ----> et vota solvamus tibi)

Sit, Christe, Rex piissime,
tibi Patrique gloria
cum Spiritu Paraclito,
in sempiterna saecula. Amen.

the meter is Iambic dimeter

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ave, ave verum corpus
natum de Maria Virgine.
Vere passum, immolatum
in cruce pro homine:
Cuius latus perforatum
unda fluxit et sanguine:
Esto nobis praegustatum
in mortis examine.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

O virtus Sapientiae,
quae circuiens circuisti
comprehendendo omnia
in una via, quae habet vitam,
tres alas habens,
quarum una in altum volat,
et altera de terra sudat,
et tertia undique volat.
Laus tibi sit, sicut te decet,
O Sapientia.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

It does indeed and it is absolutely fascinating. It must be inspired by the rituals related to the pool of Silaom.
I don't know about the pool of Silaom, but it's clearly related to Byzantine chant traditions, and the Ensemble Organum (the group in the recording) collaborated with a Greek Orthodox cantor for their Chants de l'Église de Rome series. The melismatic line, and the almost Arabian modalities in the chants, probably derive from time when the liturgy in Rome was in Greek. It reminds me of Coptic and Syriac chanting as well. "Gregorian" chant is a product of the Carolingian period.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Interesting!
I don't know about the pool of Silaom
I have read of a certain ritual that used to be held in the pool of Siloam but now I can't recall the details and google, as usual, doesn't help. In this cases he gives you everything except what you need. Besides, I haven't the book on which I read this think. I hope this information will pop up in my mind sooner or later.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I gave it a thought and now I remember. It's about the jewish "Sukkot" or "Feast of Shelters" (which, in turn, derives from the babilonese Uri Gallu).
The throng headed by the priest used to reach the pool in procession and fill a golden decanter whose content was then poured on an altar. The procession then continued from Siloe to Ghinon and during all this the throng used to sing Isaia 12:3 "With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation". In Christianity this is related to the pericope of the man born blind and the interjection: "Go, wash in the Pool of Siloam" (John 9:7).