Strange Things that happen here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Usually, the cookies stored in your browser, that tell the web "this user can pass, without logging in again" has a lifespan which is set by the developer of the web. There should be something like an infinite cookie*, but 1) I'm not sure this web uses it (and it may not be even in my power to meaningfully do something about it - provided we wanted to), it may just be using a very very long-lasting one 2) even immortal cookies can be deleted by the browser** from time to time, albeit rarely (unless the user does it himself)...

*certainly for a PC web browser
**maybe more frequently on a mobile phone

But yes, I think I'm forced to log in from the same web browser and computer like... once a year?

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I was booted off both on the phone and the computer. It was only a quick matter of logging in again sans difficile.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Ooh, it happened to me too...

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

It may be just be a coincidence: your cookies simultaneously ran out. You might have logged in to the forum during the same time...e.g. two years ago during the update or something like that. (with an 'immortal' cookie)

It's totally on a different level of abstraction (much deeper) than I've been working on, absolutely beyond me :)

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I haven't been logged out in ages, for what it's worth, which probably isn't much.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

No one died anyway.

B

Bitmap

I just had to log in now.
I suppose Godmy's presumption that the login cookies last about 2 years and that it has something to do with the update 2 years ago makes some sense.

I didn't bring this up because it was much of a problem for me to log in again. But some people forget their password after a long time of convenient auto log-ins; if this had happened just 2 months earlier, you wouldn't have any chance of retrieving your account because the e-mail system was broken. (well, there *were* ways if you're in the core community of this forum, but probably none that would occur to a regular user or even your average rank-and-file CI).

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I usually log out so that I won't falsely appear in the list of "members online". So the two-year thing will never bite me! :)

But some people forget their password after a long time of convenient auto log-ins;
If people don't use separate passwords for each site they log in to, and keep them all in a password vault, and regularly back up the vault, they're asking for trouble.

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

It seemed that I got logged out, just a minute ago!

What actually happened is that I clicked on a link from the https: site, where I was logged in, to the http: site, where I was not logged in.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Yes, the forum was down for some users from Europe, I panicked and asked the provider. It started to work subsequently. It seems to have affected only some of you (and me).

This was their explanation:
Networking actually turned down our connection to HE so your traffic would be routing over another carrier. You should see the site loading.
Hurricane Electric - a transit provider / backbone carrier - appears to have been having some issues. This is between you and us and outside of our control but these issues are rare and usually do not last more than a few minutes.
HE handles a relatively small amount of our traffic.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Aha! That makes it as clear as mud for me!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Since sometime last night I have no longer been receiving email notifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.