1. The forum will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance this weekend. This will take place around:

Tokyo (UTC+9): November 23 9:00AM
    New Delhi (UTC+5:30): November 23 5:30AM
    Rome (UTC+1): November 23 1:00AM
    EST (UTC-5): November 22 7:00PM
    PST (UTC-8): November 22 4:00PM

Downtime should not last more than 48 hours. If the maintenance can not be completed in that time frame, further downtime will be scheduled for a later date.

A few remaining Words not found

By stdape, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Nov 2, 2019.

1. stdape Member

Right i think i got main of document sorted except for a few i have searched for for ages with no luck.
    It is the Parts mentioned of the Mill Indenture.
    i think Lapides is Stone? but words from then on have thrown me, anyone recognize these?

If translated right Molares, Rotarum, Circulos, Fusiles, Cogges, Stanes, Ryndys, Cogynys, Eveos, Bancorum. Latorum i have as throwers.

Any help greatly appreciated, been at this on and off for sometime now.

Attached Files:

2. Westcott Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Lapides molares are grindstones, as molars are teeth for grinding.
    Rotarum circulos is also a phrase, "circles of wheels" - wheel rims? Perhaps the wheels have iron tyres like cart wheels often did.
    Fusiles = spiral gears? Have a look at some fusili pasta and you'll see what I mean. If you put one of these on a rod and mount it tangentially to a normal cog wheel the cog will impart a rotating motion in the rod (or vice versa). Latham's medieval word list gives mill-spindle.
    I think the next few words may be English words used because the clerk doesn't know a Latin equivalent. Cogges would be cogs, but stanes would have to be something more technical than simply "stones", otherwise the clerk could have found an equivalent easily enough. Ryndys also looks English, "rinds", whatever they might be. The next word is Gogynys not Cogynys.
    After that, ereos not eveos. Ereos in medieval Latin would be aereos in classical. Aereus is an adjective meaning "of copper or bronze" so these would be copper or bronze parts.
    Defectu stangni Bancorum sive laterum. We must be talking about the mill pond and mill race here, ie the reservoir and stream to drive the water wheel. Default/lack/defect of dam, banks or sides. These would all cause flooding (and a shut-down of the mill) but I don't know what the context is here. Stangnus is usually a pond rather than a dam, so perhaps it means defect of banks or sides of the pond, but I think in this case the word order would be bancorum sive laterum stangni.
    Godmy likes this.
  3. stdape Member

Thankyou, gives me some idea now, i did gather it was the Mills parts workings etc, but words were confusing. Did you use Lathams for other words! Or just knew them? Might have to purchase the book if it has words like above.
  4. Westcott Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I did look at Latham for some of the words. My first thought for stangni was "ponds" but Latham offered dam which fitted the context. Similiarly my first thought for bancorum was "of the benches" but Latham offered "banks". If you are working on medieval documents it is well worth having a copy.
    Godmy likes this.
  5. stdape Member

I ordered a copy was under £5, so just about in my budget!
  6. Westcott Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    That's £5 well spent.