1. The forum will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance this weekend. This will take place around:

Tokyo (UTC+9): November 23 9:00AM
    New Delhi (UTC+5:30): November 23 5:30AM
    Rome (UTC+1): November 23 1:00AM
    EST (UTC-5): November 22 7:00PM
    PST (UTC-8): November 22 4:00PM

Downtime should not last more than 48 hours. If the maintenance can not be completed in that time frame, further downtime will be scheduled for a later date.
  1. stdape Member

anyone knows what this means?
  2. Issacus Divus ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ

• Civis Illustris
    Looks like the accusative of the name Perratrix.
    Gregorius Textor likes this.
  3. stdape Member

thank you i will check it out later
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Where did you find it, stdape? If it's part of a sentence, can you post the entire sentence?

It looks like it could be a misprint or bad scanning for peccatricem, but I can't be sure of anything without context.
    Bitmap likes this.
  5. Issacus Divus ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ

• Civis Illustris
    Oh?
  6. stdape Member

You may be right, not at Computer at present, will send picture when i get to it. If so what does Peccatricem mean?
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    A (female) sinner, in general. But the translation can vary slightly depending on context.
  8. Issacus Divus ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ

• Civis Illustris
    Well, never mind.
  9. stdape Member

Sorry so long finally got here i sent a section the word as you can probably see 2nd line to the right. Sent rest for context. This is a Probate of 1620 Anthony Shurley who was Clergy. Most of it is in more Religious based so sinful sounds right except he is male. Wish i could get my head round Latin lol, is there a good Latin to English translator out there? of any good Google as most know is rubbish. Got various Books. but some words just do not appear in them.

Attached Files:

10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It says animulam meam peccatricem, literally "my little sinful soul", but in this context maybe the diminutive animulam should rather be rendered as something like "poor soul". Peccatricem is used as sort of an adjective to animulam.
    Do you mean a human one or a machine one? If a machine one, no, there aren't any.
    Bitmap likes this.
  11. stdape Member

Thank-you that makes a little sense now. You have been of great help. Just wonderingif i can be a little bit more of a pain and ask if you could help me with this section From Anno Domino to et Opera on the next line
    In the year of our Lord 16?? ->..........
    A lot of the Will/Probate is strange compared to other ones along with my Latin very poor.
  12. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I can't see those words.
  13. stdape Member

Lol just noticed never uploaded file! Sorry will do in Morning, just gone to bed.
  14. stdape Member

Sorry for Delay, Grand-kids for Weekend.

Attached Files:

15. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    anno domini millesimo sexagentesimo quinto ? ? ? et opera omnia Leonis magni uno volumine in folio

Can anyone read the words between quinto and et opera?
  16. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    The second one is quinti, I think, unless that's part of a longer word.
  17. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I think I've got it:

anno domini millesimo sexagentesimo quinto Sixti Quinti issu editum et opera omnia Leonis magni uno volumine in folio

In any case, the picture doesn't show a complete sentence. I can tell you it seems to be about some work published in 1605 on the order of Sixtus V* and the complete works of Leo the Great, but if you want a translation you'll have to give us the complete sentence.

*He died in 1590, though, but perhaps his order was carried out after his death.
    Gregorius Textor and Bitmap like this.
  18. stdape Member

Hi sent whole Document so it makes sense. Have no idea where Sentences begin or end as Latin for me is lacking. I have marked the line concerned.
    Very grateful for your time. The works published etc you stated starts to makes sense.

Attached Files:

19. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    OK, the works in question are part of a list of bequests.

Let me first try to transcribe the sentence:

De bonis autem meis exiguis tria volumina, nempe testamentum vetus non umquam (?) uno volumine comprehensum impressum Antuerpiae apud ? ? et anno domini millesimo sexagentesimo quinto Sixti Quinti issu editum et opera omnia Leonis magni uno volumine in folio et Joannis ? praeceptorium (?) super decalogon in folio, haec tria volumina in honore sanctissimae Trinitatis dono Collegio Trinitatis in alma Academia ? cuius olim socius indignus fortasse fui.

I'll come back later to try and decipher the words I haven't been able to read now. Also maybe someone else will.
  20. stdape Member

Wow that was quick I got Anterpiae apud Johem Moretum (John Moretum) and Joannis Ryder.
    Alma Academia oxon (Oxford) as three of the ? Marks. If it helps or indeed right !