Θεασάμενος...

SpeedPocok5

Θεασάμενος δὲ ἐνταῦθα δράκοντα κατ'αὐτοῦ διαιρόμενον, ἐαυτὸν εἰς τὸν ποταμὸν καθῆκεν: ἐν δὲ τῷ ποταμῷ κροκόδειλος αὐτὸν κατεθοινήσατο.

I don't know from which verbs come καθῆκεν and κατεθοινήσατο from...

D

Deleted member 13757

I don't know Greek. But I can teach you how to go about finding out.

First. Attempt to look it up as is in the https://en.wiktionary.org/

If nothing is found. Do the following: Look it up in Google Translate. It will do its best to find the closest meaning, or related meaning. Even if it is not the correct one, it will get your started.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 1.26.02 PM.png

Reverse translate:

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 1.26.25 PM.png

Now you can lookup κάθομαι in the dictionary and do you research...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bitmap

In this phrase, καθῆκε comes from καθίημι
and
κατεθοινήσατο comes from κατα + θοινάω

SpeedPocok5

I don't know Greek. But I can teach you how to go about finding out.

First. Attempt to look it up as is in the https://en.wiktionary.org/

If nothing is found. Do the following: Look it up in Google Translate. It will do its best to find the closest meaning, or related meaning. Even if it is not the correct one, it will get your started.

View attachment 8801

Reverse translate:

View attachment 8802

Now you can lookup κάθομαι in the dictionary and do you research...

Thank you, but notice that google translate only translates modern greek, and modern greek has changed from the ancient greek, they have different words for the same meaning in some cases.

Also, I don't trust very much google translate.

Equally, thank you for your will

That beats Tutti Verbi
Nothing beats Tutti Verbi. It was one of my best friends through graduate school. But the convenience of electronic tools is really nice too. Comments inspired by this thread:

1) When people who don't know Greek give advice on how to do Greek, just run the other way.

2) Google translate makes hash of ancient inflected languages.

3) The best way to identify Greek verbs is to continue studying and practicing Greek. The more you do, and especially the more you read and see in context, the more you have less need for such aids, hard copy or electronic.