Ἀντίλοχος

Kallistos

Χαίρετε!

I had some progress, now I know around 300 words and a little conjugation/declension.
I would have 3 smaller questions:

1. Meaning of the name: Ἀντίλοχος. The word λοχος means ambush. In front of an ambush? Like an ambush? Counter-ambush? Ambush-countering?

2. How to pronounce φθείρω? Do we pronounce a vowel between the φ and the θ?

3. How to pronounce υἱός? Maybe üios or wios? The breath-mark on the iota confuses me.
χάριν οἶδα

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

1. Probably the first one, as 'one of the vanguard'. The notion of λέχομαι 'lie (in bivouac)' is transferred to 'beset, raid', & made into an o-grade as is common with names, cf. Πάτροκλος.

2. No vowel, & so it is every bit as foreign-sounding to us as πτόλις (of which sequence it is the aspirated equivalent).

3. The upsilon-iota is a diphthong (pronounced /hy-jɔs/), indicated by the fact that the 'rough breathing' mark is on the second vowel (that is, the iota). This will always be the case unless the meter dictates otherwise, & so you'd need something anapestic/choriambic (i.e. not Homer).

Kallistos

Many thanks!
Could you recommend a book or mobile app for checking pronunciation? I can't read those special linguist marks (/hy-jɔs/). (How much time would it take to learn those?)

Kuba26

non sum dignus

• Civis Illustris

Many thanks!
Could you recommend a book or mobile app for checking pronunciation? I can't read those special linguist marks (/hy-jɔs/). (How much time would it take to learn those?)
Not long. You're looking for an introduction to the International Phonetic Alphabet. Also, this clip might help get you started.

Kuba26

non sum dignus

• Civis Illustris

/ke.leú̯.ɔː/ is the phonetic spelling of κελεύω, the /ú/ represents ύ.
As far as I know, Perseus lexicon entries do not include phonetics.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

BTW that would be /ke.lé.wɔː/ according to Allen’s precepts.

Why would you need a dictionary with pronunciation? The spelling is ambiguous with respect to the length of α, ι, and υ, and this ambiguity is resolved (whenever possible) in dictionaries such as Liddell & Scott. Apart from that, the transcriptions in Wiktionary can be automatically derived from the spelling.

Kallistos

I checked now many Attic Greek videos on Youtube, and everyone has a different pronunciation. I found that the universality of even the International Phonetic Alphabet is an illusion. People of different origins pronounce the same texts in different ways.
So now I choose a different approach. I'll stick to a single person's recordings, who has a large amount of materials and seems to have been accepted by many on the field.
This channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv2q9OTZ0w4zCnt6NDjQZ-A

The con is that I won't be able to look up random words, which I encounter through other studies, but instead I'll have to start with his texts.

BTW that would be /ke.lé.wɔː/ according to Allen’s precepts.

Why would you need a dictionary with pronunciation? The spelling is ambiguous with respect to the length of α, ι, and υ, and this ambiguity is resolved (whenever possible) in dictionaries such as Liddell & Scott. Apart from that, the transcriptions in Wiktionary can be automatically derived from the spelling.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

> I checked now many Attic Greek videos on Youtube, and everyone has a different pronunciation.

Yeah. :) Somehow reconstructions of the Greek pronunciation seem rather to divide than unite.

There must be two factors involved: our knowledge is imperfect, and people often prefer convenience over historical accuracy. (Allen’s Vox Graeca illustrates both points.)

> I found that the universality of even the International Phonetic Alphabet is an illusion.

IPA is quite universal. It’s your best bet if you want to talk about sounds.
But an alphabet is just that, a tool for writing. It can’t compensate for the
lack of data.

> I won't be able to look up random words

Why do you need to look them up at all? The rules of reading are straightforward.