17th century description of Jewish Synagogue

Kangaroo1200

Dear all,
I came across a potentially interesting description from the mid-17th century manuscript about a Jewish synagogue. I understand the general meaning of the following, but would like to ask whether a kind soul could translate it. It's quite long, so even if someone could translate the first few lines and perhaps someone else could continue, then maybe that would be a good way to get through it.
Grateful for any help that might be rendered. Many thanks indeed for your assistance!

Synagoga hæc erat antiquitate æque quam cultu deformis; in eius medio rotundum locum spectare erat, sedili pensili vario intus & de foris grauem, superius in modum conopæi; quod ligneæ columnæ aliquot sustentabant, tectum, in eum duobus ostiolis sibi aduersis patebat aditus, in eo tres quatuorue ex praecipuis Iudaeorum longis togis, alioque habitu insuper velut dalmatica vestiti, vetus testamentum in charta Pergamena nitide descriptum euoluebant conuoluebantque, conuolutum deinde in scriniolum aliquod seu tabernaculum potius, quod ipsi sacrarium appellant, deportabant, accedentibus qui, iuxta stabant & deosculantibus legem DEI in manibus sacrificuli. Mox ad preces multa vocis & oris inflexione, sublatione depressione que redibant. Separatæ erant a viris mulieres loco paulum editiore, ita tamen vt commode ceremonias omnes despicere possent, quæ simul nescio quid trifle inarticulata quadam voce murmurabant.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

This was a synagogue unsightly equally from age and from worship; in it's middle was a round place to watch, inside with a varied hanging seat (not sure why this is singular) and venerable from outside, above in the manner of a canopy; which roofwas held up somewhat by wooden columns, an entry into it lay via two little doors opposite, in which three or four of the most distinguished of the Jews in long togas, and, and on top another garment like a dalmatic apparel, would unroll and roll up the old testament written glitteringly on a parchment sheet, and once rolled up, would carry the law of GOD away to a little case or rather a reliquary, which they called a shrine, and into the approaching hands of the sacrificing priest, which they covered in kisses. Soon they would return to prayers with much bending of their voices and mouths and standing up and bowing. The women were separated from the men in a slightly raised place, so taht everyone could conventiently look down on the ceremonies, which? they all whispered ? together all in some kind of indistinct voice

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I wouldn't take this as a perfect translation ;)

Kangaroo1200

Dear Cinefactus,

many thanks indeed for your effort here - it is much appreciated!! I think this provides me with a good base to work on and it confirms my initial understanding of the text. So, once again, much appreciated.:)