A place for community

A

Anonymous

Hello, I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to help me.

I am a stain glass window artist living in south london, England. I am designing a window for a church community hall. It is based on the idea of how the hall is used, i.e bingo meetings for the elderly, baptism parties, mother and toddler groups etc.

I would like to include a phrase which reflects this. I could of course do it in english, but I thought in Latin it would be more interesting, and people would possibly be drawn into the window while trying to discover what the phrase actually ment.

I have something along the lines of ' a place for community' in mind. But perhaps you have something better. I understand it must be quite annoying when someone like me tries to pick your brains, but this is a genuine request.

Thank you for your time. Isobel

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I con't come up with anything I think is very good, but I don't want your enquiry to sit here unanswered. As a point of departure I will suggest:

Hic coniuncti sumus

literally "here we are together"

A

Anonymous

The glass artist.....again

Hello, I have posted a similer request in the general forum, and have had one inspired reply from Iynx, Thank you. But I thought my request may sit better here. I am the Glass artist looking for a quote to include in a window I am currently doing for a Church community hall. I am looking to include a Latin quote along the lines of ' for the comminity' and wonder if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you for reading this, this is a genuine request. I am very tempted to use Iynx suggestion, but would like some others to play with. Thank you again.

Bambi

Hmmmm....

Well as far as a sentence goes not really sure. I am very much a novice but...
a building; house = aedes
community = communitas

how to place them I am not sure...

"aedes communitas" maybe???
help Iynx

Jason210

Ad bonum populi - for the good of the people

Ad bonum communitatis - for the good of the community (fellowship)

Vox populi, vox Dei - The voice of the people, the voice of God.

/Jason

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Bambi, I'm afraid you've aroused my suspicions here. Are you trying to get me to say "Aedes communis"? :lol:

That could mean "common dwelling", if it were plural (which it isn't). In actual fact it's the scientific name of a very troublesome mosquito (anyone who doesn't believe me, just google "aedes communis", with the quotes). I don't mind having my leg pulled, and I probably like puns more than 99% of the population, but we don't want to take a chance on something like that being immortalized in glass, now do we?

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

How about just omiting sumus in Iynx's first version? Hic coniuncti would sound both expressive and laconic, despite being simple.