A seperate forum for Cæsar within 'Reading Latin'

bedtime

Cæsar's De Bello Gallico is by far the most read ancient latin beginner text. I would think that the vast amount of intermediates would require help with it.

There is a thread about the book here, in Reading Latin:
THREAD: de-bello-gallico-liber-primus-forum-book-club

The issue is that this thread is jumbled with irrelevant info, and it's quite old, and, people feel they cannot join in because they are too late for the club.

I'm on chapter 14 of the first book and was thinking of making my own Cæsar book club; making a new thread post per chapter, so people can join in on any chapter and comment at any time, but it would flood the Reading Latin forum and I don't feel that is fair to others who have posts there.

I suggest a sub forum (under Reading Latin) for Cæsar's De Bello Gallico.

It seems, from the post above, that there is a great interest in the book, and great many comments on the story itself, which is extremely detailed per se.

I think the work is worthy of it's own place, and it would only be a sub forum withing Reading Latin, so it shouldn't get in the way. The post above could be moved to it to save space from it's sticky at the top.

What do you think?

Can we make room for Cæsar? He is a God after all! :)

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

I'm definitely not against a Caesar subforum within the 'Reading Latin' section, but
making a new thread post per chapter, so people can join in on any chapter and comment at any time
couldn't you make one thread and just post in there? It shouldn't be too hard to follow along and find specific chapters there. I do think it makes sense to have separate threads for each book.

bedtime

I'm definitely not against a Caesar subforum within the 'Reading Latin' section, but

couldn't you make one thread and just post in there? It shouldn't be too hard to follow along and find specific chapters there. I do think it makes sense to have separate threads for each book.
Yes, one subforum for each book would be great. I think that would be the best solution. Each book has arond 50 chapters and with one thread per chapter that would seem to work out fine; a person would just need to find the official post for each chapter and everything pertaining to that chapter would be there (translations, lat/eng, grammar, notes, info on fortifications, maps...), but have one thread alone for 50 chapters is just not possible. This is the kind of book that you really want to understand, and there is so much to it.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Or perhaps as a subforum of a subforum if that is possible with this forum software: since you never want to multiply the basic sub-fora - the basic menu items beyond necessity as to keep the navigation simple. Otherwise not a bad idea, since there is no classical text for which more didactic material has ever been made than for Caesar precisely because it is understood as an 'intro' for the classical Latin readers who have already gone through the basics.