A wall of ice...

paulmoore

Ok, after the small amount of experience that I have had with all of you wonderful people helping me translate things from english to latin, I have come to realize a truth. I have these phrases in my head that I want my evil caster guy to say, and I feel that I am 'forcing' a translation so to speak. I have noticed that when I describe the scene to everyone here, a more fluid and meaningful translation arises, and as such I think that I woudl like to continue that trend if possible. It might even be kinda fun for you guys(and gals)too, that is, if you like to flex your creative muscles every now and then. Ok so here is my scene...

The hero of my novel(whose name is Dreydan) gains the help of the last dragon that my evil guy did not manage to capture and steal power from. Dreydan rides on the back of the dragon and attempts to engage the caster(who is standing alone in a field). by using the dragon's firey breath. Dreydon makes 3 passes, with each pass flying low and fast, and scorching the ground with flames. Tyranus(the bad guy) dives out of harm's way 2 times. On the 3rd pass, he has enough time to conjure up a giant wall of ice, roughly 15ft high, 40ft long, and about 4ft-5ft thick. The dragon's fire begins melting through the ice and it draws near, with the wall taking the brunt of the flame. The wall is large though, and because of the position of the dragon and the wall's proximity to Tyranus, impact is iminent. The dragon tries to maneuver out of the way by turning to the left. Its right wing busts through the ice, sending shards flying, Tyranus goes flying, the dragon's body leans to the left and its left wing tears a gouge into the earth and begins to tumble, sending Dreydan vaulting off its mount.

Essentially, I'd like the scene to have Tyranus moving his arms with the gesture, and all of the humidity in the air begins to condense, and as it freezes, it begins to take the shape of said wall. Sorry for the long post.

paulmoore

Sorry for the double post, but I was doing some searching on the internet and came across the term, 'Glacies murus' for ice wall. Is that at all accurate?'

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Nope; murus glaciei is the correct translation (note the declensions!)

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Hm, creativity... that's hard enough in English :p

Ab aere glacies sit - "From the air, let there be ice"
Ob ignem, glacies! - "Against fire, ice!"

Those are just the first things that came to my mind, I'm sure that others have better ideas.

paulmoore

Nikolaos dixit:
Hm, creativity... that's hard enough in English :p

Ob ignem, glacies! - "Against fire, ice!"

Those are just the first things that came to my mind, I'm sure that others have better ideas.

That is most excellent, and very fitting for the scene that will take place.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Actually, now that I think about it, it should be "ex" instead of "ab".

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

You might want fiat instead of sit also. fiat lux = "let there be light" (Genesis 1:3), fiat panis "let there be bread" (UN-FAO motto).

paulmoore

scrabulista dixit:
You might want fiat instead of sit also. fiat lux = "let there be light" (Genesis 1:3), fiat panis "let there be bread" (UN-FAO motto).
So, it would look like this then...Ex aere fiat glacies ?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Any word order works, as long as "ex" and "aere" aren't separated :)