Akkadian

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I saw a program for a short summer course in Akkadian. Has anyone here studied it? Was it enjoyable? Difficult?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Very enjoyable. (To Me.) *Depends on which type of Akkadian you want to learn for the difficulty.
I've looked over the language. I only know about it because I was obsessed with Akkad, Sumer, and Kish for a year. (That was just last year...Elam to the East!)
Being a Semitic language, it bears likeness to (although of course not mutually intelligible) Hebrew and Arabic, like the root system. Constant roots make words, like Arabic. It would probably be closer to Eblaite.
Anyway.
Three cases, nominative, genitive, accusative. ( There's a possible locative.)
Surprisingly enough, the cases are really easy (at first).

It works like this: (This is from Hammurabi's Code.)

Awil-um šū šarrāq

Man ( Awil= man, um= nominative marker. su= he (is), the 3rd person masculine singular, and sarraq= "status absolutus."

*It actually lost it cases eventually. The most neutral dialect that I know of is the Northern Mesopotamian.

Do you know which dialect the course was based around?

Status Absolutus:
In simple two-noun examples, the first noun (nomen regens) is cast in the phonetically abbreviated construct state, while the second—more generally, the final—noun (nomen rectum) occurs in its phonetically full form, known as the status absolutus.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Cinefactus, when was the course available? Do you know what it consisted of?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It is held every January for varying grades.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Based on long texts, I assume. It wouldn't be too challenging to find a lot of Canadian text.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Based on long texts, I assume. It wouldn't be too challenging to find a lot of Canadian text.
And here was I thinking that Canadians spoke English and French.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

The first Canadians were Akkadian, I wager.

Screenshot (54).png

Behold. Akkadian is auto-corrected to Canadian.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I should have added an emoji ;)

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Have you ever studied Akkadian?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

No, it was only a week long.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

How is anyone supposed to retain a language this old in a week?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

The first Canadians were Akkadian, I wager.

View attachment 7003

Behold. Akkadian is auto-corrected to Canadian.
Now we know why according to Civilization VI: Gathering Storm, Canada is sometimes located next to Sumeria (Canada debuted in this expansion pack).

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Ioustinianós

I saw a program for a short summer course in Akkadian. Has anyone here studied it? Was it enjoyable? Difficult?

Studied it for a semester, it's quite fun and a good alternative to Sumerian (an isolate) since it opens the door quite easily to Hebrew and Arabic once you've got the syntax down, though sadly the cuneiform is itself isolate (in the sense that it's re-appropriated Sumerian cuneiform, in a situation very analogous to Japanese kanji).

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I'll get back into this again; now that I'm going for Mandaic, yet another Semitic language...

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I'll get back into this again; now that I'm going for Mandaic, yet another Semitic language...

Yeah, I’m back to Akkadian now. Its basic similarities with Classical Arabic are pretty interesting.

Devenius Dulenius

Civis

• Civis

Did you study it in transliteration, or learn the cuneiform script? The latter looks like it would be complicated. I understand there are several hundred signs to learn. Tho perhaps for a person who already is literate in a modern Asian language like Mandarin might have an advantage? Just guessing, I don't know. It would be cool to learn a language like that, though. I work with Biblical Hebrew now and hope to start teaching myself Syriac later this year. Arabic is on the wish list for later.