Alone with none but Thee...

TheHermit

Hello! I'm trying to render the first line of the Human by St. Columba which runs, "Alone with none but Thee, my God, I journey on my way", into proper Latin.

I came up with, "Solus nullum tibi, Deus meus, iter itineris", bit I believe that is incorrect. Can you help please and thanks?!

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

If he wrote it, it was probably originally composed in Latin. I'm not at my computer otherwise I'd have a look for it.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Good luck. I'm finding this one surprisingly hard -- there are any number of references to the English text, but getting hold of the original is going to require a bit more effort than typing St Columba Affirmation Latin text or the like into a search engine. You're probably in a better position to find it than I am, knowing where resources may be available.

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

... I'm trying to render the first line of the Human by St. Columba which runs, "Alone with none but Thee, my God, I journey on my way", into proper Latin.
I came up with, "Solus nullum tibi, Deus meus, iter itineris", bit I believe that is incorrect. Can you help please and thanks?!
"Solus nullum tibi, Deus meus, iter itineris".
My suggestion: "Solus comite nullo (alio) nisi te, Deus meus, peregrinor".

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

syntaxianus dixit:

... solitarius, nullo nisi te comite, Deus meus, iter facio
alone, none but you as companion, my God, I make my way
solitarius: excellent idea! (cf. Petrarca's De vita solitaria)