Ancient Roman Objects

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I didn't know that. I also didn't realise they were still spelling ides with an e.
Wouldn't the pileus mean liberation from slavery?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I was wondering why he didn't say that in the tweet.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Dunno; maybe he isn't aware. The edit to the tweet facebook post was added after I shared it.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Interestingly it is also one of the only specific coin designs (that I know of) that's also attested in a written work of history:

"In addition to these activities Brutus stamped upon the coins which were being minted his own likeness and a cap and two daggers, indicating by this and by the inscription that he and Cassius had liberated the fatherland." (Cassius Dio 47.25)

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Regarding the spelling EID. (= EIDIBUS, not EDIBUS as the post says), I think there is some evidence that spelling was more conservative in the late Republican period than our manuscripts and editions would indicate (e.g. Quintilian's statement about the use of geminate s in Cicero's time (caussa, cassus, divissiones) which is completely unattested in our manuscripts). Even beyond that, inscriptions and coins tended to conserve archaic spellings more than other texts, and EI for long I is pretty common in inscriptions.

Here's an interesting coin from the Augustan age commemorating an old treaty with Gabii (foedus p.r. qum Gabinis), where "cum" is spelled "qum". Though, as a professor of a friend of mine pointed out, this is less likely to indicate a genuine spelling and more a deliberate attempt at archaism, like saying "ye olde treatie" in English.

IMG_8797.jpeg

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I love these old combs.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis