News (Ancient) Ancient Roman Villa with Magnificent Mosaic Unearthed in UK

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

The 1,700-year-old mosaic — part of the ruins of the ancient Roman villa complex in Rutland, England — is the first example in the UK displaying scenes from Homer’s The Iliad, and one of only a handful from across Europe.

The ancient Roman villa complex was discovered beneath a farmer’s field by Jim Irvine, son of landowner Brian Naylor, in 2020.

“A ramble through the fields with the family turned into an incredible discovery,” Irvine said.

“Finding some unusual pottery amongst the wheat piqued my interest and prompted some further investigative work.”

“Later, looking at the satellite imagery I spotted a very clear crop mark, as if someone had drawn on my computer screen with a piece of chalk! This really was the ‘oh wow’ moment, and the beginning of the story.”

The ancient complex is surrounded by a range of other buildings and features revealed by a geophysical survey and archaeological evaluation, including what appear to be aisled barns, circular structures and a possible bath house, all within a series of boundary ditches.

It is likely to have been occupied by a wealthy individual in the Late Roman period, between the 3rd and 4th century CE.

The remains of the mosaic measure 11 m by 7 m (36 by 23 feet) and depict part of the story of the Greek hero Achilles.

The artwork forms the floor of what’s thought to be a large dining or entertaining area.

Mosaics were used in a variety of private and public buildings across the Roman Empire, and often featured famous figures from history and mythology.

However, the Rutland mosaic is unique in the UK in that it features Achilles and his battle with Hector at the conclusion of the Trojan War and is one of only a handful of examples from across Europe.