quaerebam: comperibam nil ad Pamphilum 90
quicquam attinere. enimvero spectatum satis
putabam et magnum exemplum continentiae;
nam qui cum ingeniis conflictatur ei(u)s modi
neque commovetur animus in ea re tamen,
scias posse habere iam ipsum <suae> vitae modum. 95
quom id mihi placebat tum uno ore omnes omnia
bona dicere et laudare fortunas meas,
qui gnatum haberem tali ingenio praeditum.

SI. They said it was Phaedrus, Clinia or Niceratus; for these three had a love affair with her at the same time. "Hey, what about Pamphilus?" "What? He paid his part, he had dinner." I was rejoicing. The following day I was asking in the same way: I was finding out that nothing had anything to do with Pamphilus. I thought in fact that he was remarkable enough and a great example of moderation; for he who struggles with natural inclinations of that kind but whose mind nonetheless stays unmoved in that matter*, you know that he can already have the right measure of his life. I liked that, as well as hearing everyone saying with the same voice that all was good and praising my good luck to have a son endowed with such a character.

*I'm a little confused by that apparent change of subject there, qui then animus:

nam qui cum ingeniis conflictatur ei(u)s modi
neque commovetur animus in ea re tamen

Should I understand a cuius implied in the second line for "but whose mind...", or on the contrary animus already in the first line "the mind who struggles with..." - but then it would be weird to say "let you know that it (that mind) can have the right measure...", maybe.

D

Deleted member 13757

86 - 98

Sosia: Quid deinde?
Simo: Puer una cum amicis suis (Phaedro, Clinia et Nicerato), coepit Chrysidem visitare. Sed probus erat, modo illic cenabat, nihil aliud. Saltim hoc putabam, Et propter hoc, gaudebam.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

*saltem

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

An alternative spelling saltim does exist.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Oh, well you can shoot me. lol

D

Deleted member 13757

Oh, well you can shoot me. lol

Good exercise for pronunciation :) Find a middle between e and i :) Same exercise for maxumum and maximum :) Find the that middle u/i sound :) From what I remember, that u sounding i sound was rustic and republican age, in urbe and post rep. it was leaning towards a less effeminate sharper i. I'll look up the cites, when I get home. I have to get back to work. :)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Find the that middle u/i sound :) From what I remember, that u sounding i sound was rustic and republican age, in urbe and post rep. it was leaning towards a less effeminate sharper i. I'll look up the cites, when I get home. I have to get back to work. :)
That would give a French u or German ü.

D

Deleted member 13757

That would give a French u or German ü.

Maybe not that strong. With still some hints of i. Try to make a diphthong iu where i is a vowel 1/2 in length and u also 1/2. When I do, I hear i and u at the same time. This is just fun archaeology. A post rep. plain i is totally cool as well :)

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Hello. Two minor suggestions.

Line 89: gaudebam / I was rejoicing = that was good news/I was glad to hear that.

Line 91: spectatum satis / he was remarkable enough = In fact I was thinking that he was a decent enough sort and a great ... [“spectatus” as “respected, worthy”]