Annales I, 58

ovidia nemausa

Hello,
Please give me a help translating this sentence, for example some verb seems elliptical, and I don't see why 'imbecillum' is in accusative.

Sed [Germanicus] Chattis adeo improvisus advenit, (But Germanicus came against [the towns of] the Chatti so suddenly)
ut quod imbecillum aetate ac sexu statim captum aut trucidatum sit.

Maybe what is missing is 'ut accidit quod...', but still the accusative doesn't make sense to me.
Also it seems elliptical 'omnem/quemque imbecillum..', but the accusative remains a problem.
Another possibility is that 'imbecillum' is a substantivized adjective, in neuter, then it would be 'quod [omne/quodque] imbecillum..',
and with that then 'captum' and 'trucidatum' would make sense as neuters. But I'm not sure if that is the solution.

Thanks in advance.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Imbecillum, captum and trucidatum are neuter nominative. Quod is used as a relative pronoun, and there's an ellipsis in the relative clause.

... quod imbecillum aetate ac sexu [erat] statim captum aut trucidatum sit = ... what was weak in age and sex was immediately captured or massacred.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
The usage may appear a little weird in terms of why he would use neuter rather than, like "qui imbecilli [erant] statim capti aut trucidati sint", but that is a thing that Latin does in some usages, e.g. phrases like "quidquid deorum est" (several times in Livy, in various variants) for "all the gods"