Appositions

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Yes, I thought qui meaning "how" was an old instrumental, for instance. At any rate I believe I've read that somewhere, now maybe it was wrong and this is just an ablative...
I've never really thought about this curious holdover, but now that I do, it seems like it could continue either the old instrumental or the locative.

The instrumental of o-stems is thought to have been formed on the e-grade (like the vocative) + (1st) laryngeal, resulting in a long vowel. We see it in adverbs like pláné (pretend those are macrons). The locative was either suffixed with the deictic particle -i, or left unmarked (these forms sprawl all over IE, in fact ModE 'home' is one of them). Both of these forms, if marked with the same particle that invades the nominative sg., would have yielded qui (that is < inst. *kwēi and loc. *kwoi ). My instinct says that it's probably locative, but "wat teh fuck" do I know?

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well Latin is an important language. Appositions are important to understand.
Agreed.
I am therefore not as you write "investing a bit too much into the study of Latin".
Agreed. Nor, however, are you "crap" (in my opinion, at least) for not having an immediate understanding, which is the point that I was trying to make...

Last edited: