Attic Pronunciation Guide

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I aspire as always to have my song adaptations recorded by talented performers, and those include the lyrics I adapt into ancient/classical tongues. Given that the demographic overlap between classicists and singers is probably so tiny as to create a needle-in-a-haystack situation, I will most likely have to forget about classical interest as a criterion, just enlist singers based solely on talent, and simply teach them the pronunciation.

To that end, I decided to create a user-friendly pronunciation guide for classical Attic Greek that I could use and re-use in any future recording projects. One of the challenges I faced was that there doesn't appear to be a single standard reconstruction. There are instead a prestigious few that tend to disagree mildly among themselves, particularly on the vowels (even if it's clear that you're dealing just with Attic rather than Homeric or Koine).

The model I ended up with (http://www.hsmespanol.com/Archaia_Hellenike_Phone.jpg) is based mostly on Allen's Vox Graeca as cited on Wikipedia, but I made a few tweaks based on other sources (such as H&Q's text, Batts and Henry's Teach Yourself Complete Ancient Greek, or my own intuitive experience with how long/short vowel pairs tend to work). In combining traits from multiple pronunciation systems, the goal was to approximate a sort of neutral, balanced compromise while still maintaining reasonably high accuracy as well.

I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on what I've come up with, so I'd like to share it in case anyone's interested. Constructive critique is welcome, both for the accuracy and balance of the information and the clarity of presentation. Thanks in advance!

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I learned other letter names from Assimil’s Le grec ancien. :noclue:

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Different altogether, or perhaps just an omicron in place of an omega here and there?

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

My version:
ἄλφα
βῆτα
γάμμα
δέλτα
ἒ ψιλόν
ζῆτα
ῆτα
θῆτα
ιῶτα
κάππα
λάμβδα
μῦ
νῦ
ξῖ
ὃ μικρόν
πῖ
ῥῶ
σῖγμα
ταῦ
ὖ ψιλόν
φῖ
χῖ
ψῖ
ὦ μέγα

BTW, I thought υι was a falling diphthong like all the others.

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hmm, the only differences I see is that Le Grec Ancien maintains "μέγα" and "ψιλόν" as separate words and substitutes iota for epsilon-iota in the names of ξ, π, φ, χ, and ψ. I'm not sure about the former, but I suspect that the latter at least might have been influenced by iotacism (the sound change in Greek history that caused eta and several diphthongs to be pronounced identically to iota). Might anyone be able to date the two different ways of spelling those letter names for comparison?