Beginner's Latin (by Sharpley)

Mafalda

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The book can be downloaded from archive.org (https://tinyurl.com/sharpley). It is in no way as profound as LLPSE, but it gives a good idea of how the language works and can serve as a good and enjoyable introduction into Latin. The story itself is fun and engaging: abbots, nuns, drunken monks, naughty disciples, perfidious Danes, treachery and murder, pages and pages of sheer delight. Audio files for the book can be found, but the recording is in church pronunciation. Drawbacks: no macrons and decidedly not enough exercises.

sharpley 2.png

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The latest edition has macrons, but they lopped off the last six chapters!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I guess they got tired of adding macrons. It can be a tedious process. :p

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

They're useful for beginners though. (And for guys like me, who aren't exactly beginners, but were lousy and lazy beginners, so they still are...)

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I noticed that the subjunctive is introduced in Unit 16 (there are eighteen units altogether) and remembered my first experience with Latin. Back then I bought a textbook of Latin for schools and worked through it not even suspecting the existence of the subjunctive (I don't like to look forward in a textbook). When I thought I was almost done, I was presented with a half of the verbal universe (a few tablefuls of morphology) and all the subordinate clauses at once. I never made it to the end and developed a distaste for textbooks revolving around grammar.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

perfidious Danes
I'm going to gently disagree with you on that. The Danes in the story were perfectly up front about their intentions. The abbot and Pater Ricardus were the perfidious parties. :)

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I noticed that the subjunctive is introduced in Unit 16 (there are eighteen units altogether) and remembered my first experience with Latin. Back then I bought a textbook of Latin for schools and worked through it not even suspecting the existence of the subjunctive (I don't like to look forward in a textbook). When I thought I was almost done, I was presented with a half of the verbal universe (a few tablefuls of morphology) and all the subordinate clauses at once. I never made it to the end and developed a distaste for textbooks revolving around grammar.
This text doesn't cover the whole of the subjunctive, but it gives a nice taster for cautious beginners. I really enjoyed the book.