But after this, a great terror seized all the barbarians present, etc.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There are some exercises in my course for which there are no answers to check; I thought I might as well post some of them here for checking.

But after this, a great terror seized all the barbarians present, when Cyrus ordered the Greeks to advance with their weapons held forward.

Μετα δε ταυτα, έπι παντας τους παροντας βαρβαρους πολυϛ φοβος έμεβαλεν, έπει Κυρος έκελευσε τους Ἑλληναϛ προβαλλεσθαι τα ὁρλα.

Thinking that they were in danger, the people of the market abandoned everything to flee.

Κινδυνευειν νομιζοντες, οἱ έκ της αγοραϛ παντα έλιπον φευξομενοι.

The Cilician was surprised that the Greeks were laughing; she then understood that they were going to their tents.

Ἡ Κιλισσα έθαυμαζεν ὁτι οἱ Ἑλληνες έγελων· ένταυθα έγιγνωκεν ὁτι έπι τας αὑτων σκηνας είρχοντο.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

ooooh so you're far gone already in your studies, cool!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

she then understood
ένταυθα έγιγνωκεν
I was sure this was wrong; I remembered the verb was somehow irregular, but I couldn't remember how. Now I remember: έγνω.
φευξομενοι.
I have a question about this: I used the middle voice there because my course told me to, but why -- or should I rather say, why is that verb not always middle voice? Doesn't one always flee for oneself? What is the difference in usage between the active and middle voices of φευγω?

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I have a question about this: I used the middle voice there because my course told me to, but why -- or should I rather say, why is that verb not always middle voice? Doesn't one always flee for oneself? What is the difference in usage between the active and middle voices of φευγω?
φευγω, like a number of verbs, simply conjugates in the middle voice in the future. There is no readily explicable reason for it, and we should not assume the middle form carries a middle sense.

But after this, a great terror seized all the barbarians present, when Cyrus ordered the Greeks to advance with their weapons held forward.

Μετα δε ταυτα, έπι παντας τους παροντας βαρβαρους πολυϛ φοβος έμεβαλεν, έπει Κυρος έκελευσε τους Ἑλληναϛ προβαλλεσθαι τα ὁρλα.
Have another look at the bolded bits.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah, I see... They could have explained that. While you're at it, can you correct my sentences - if you have time?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Just seen this now:
Have another look at the bolded bits.
έμεβαλεν ---> ένεβαλεν
προβαλλεσθαι τα ὁρλα: my course has the expression like this in a text, except that it has it in the aorist προβαλεσθαι. Is the whole expression wrong?

Edit: No, got it, I had just left something out: "to advance holding their weapons forward": προβαλλομενους τα ὁρλα πορευεσθαι.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

"Μετα δε ταυτα, έπι παντας τους παροντας βαρβαρους πολυϛ φοβος έμεβαλεν, έπει Κυρος έκελευσε τους Ἑλληναϛ προβαλλομενους τα ὁρλα πορευεσθαι."
ἐμβάλλω isn't really the best verb here; you'd be better off with ἐμπίπτω + dat., or λαμβάνω + acc.
Since έπει here is co-ordinating (like cum-inversum in Latin), it would probably be better to substitute καί.
ὁρλα should read ὅπλα.

"Ἡ Κιλισσα έθαυμαζεν ὁτι οἱ Ἑλληνες έγελων· ένταυθα έγιγνωκεν ὁτι έπι τας αὑτων σκηνας είρχοντο."
έγνω should stand in place of έγιγνωκεν, as you say.
είρχοντο should read ἤρχοντο.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

ἐμβάλλω isn't really the best verb here; you'd be better off with ἐμπίπτω + dat., or λαμβάνω + acc.
Ah. In fact I was using the expression they told me to use.
Since έπει here is co-ordinating (like cum-inversum in Latin), it would probably be better to substitute καί.
This is based on a text we read a few lessons back, and the barbarians were actually seized by terrors as a result of the Greeks' advancing (so you could have "when he ordered... a great terror seized them"). There should not have been a comma before "when". Besides we haven't learnt that use of καί yet so they can't possibly expect that.
ὁρλα should read ὅπλα.
I have accents nowhere and you already commented on that fact; but why should I have one in this word still more than in others? Can you explain?
"Ἡ Κιλισσα έθαυμαζεν ὁτι οἱ Ἑλληνες έγελων· ένταυθα έγιγνωκεν ὁτι έπι τας αὑτων σκηνας είρχοντο."
έγνω should stand in place of έγιγνωκεν, as you say.
είρχοντο should read ἤρχοντο.
Right.

Thanks!

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I have accents nowhere and you already commented on that fact; but why should I have one in this word still more than in others? Can you explain?
I just put the accent in out of habit. It's not the accent that's the problem. Have another look at the two words side by side with your Greek thinking-cap on.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh silly me. I really had overlook that letter.