Caesar

Symposion

I have now began to read authentic texts written in classical Latin. I am now reading Caesar's book VI of De bello gallico. :)

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Macte virtute!

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Why did you start from book VI? Just curious. Which edition are you using?

Symposion

Why did you start from book VI? Just curious. Which edition are you using?
I would myself began reading from books I and II. We read instead book VI in class. We use an edition by E. C. Kennedy. It is published by Bristol Classical Press. Do you know this edition?

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Hi Symposion, I have seen that edition on Amazon, however I prefer to use one of the freely available ones. I am using the 1907 edition by Lowe, Ewing and Thomas, which has extensive historical, grammar and vocabulary notes throughout the first five books, plus a vocabulary and a grammar appendix at the back. It's almost a Latin grammar written around Caesar's book. I am also using George Long's 1875 edition, which has mostly historical and geographical notes. Occasionally I consult other editions, such as the 1840 one by Schneider, which is written entirely in Latin, including the notes, and on each page compares the versions of the text across different manuscripts. If anyone is interested, the PDF files for these books can be downloaded here.

bedtime

I am also using George Long's 1875 edition, which has mostly historical and geographical notes. Occasionally I consult other editions, such as the 1840 one by Schneider, which is written entirely in Latin, including the notes, and on each page compares the versions of the text across different manuscripts. If anyone is interested, the PDF files for these books can be downloaded here.
Long's ed.: I've just read chapters II.X & II.XI, and from what I see, this seems like a great book for helping one to understand the sentence as a whole—so far, a gold mine in that respect! I'll read a couple more chapters and comment further. :)

I often read the Lowe/Ewing ed. before I go to sleep, as I find the same page vocabulary convenient when I'm feeling lazy.

Wish the Sheinder ed. had better text; would be nice to have an all latin version to dabble with. :(

Symposion

I just had a reading course where we read Pro Archia poeta oratio by Cicero. I was not that keen at all in reading this work. I would have read something else instead. I noticed at the exam that my Latin is definitely not at all as good as it should be at this moment! :( I have therefore been thinking about returning back to Caesar to read De bello gallico from book I to VIII. I hope that will help. What do you think?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

That seems good. By the end of those books you'll find most of the major grammar concepts in the Latin language, and the sentence are not ridiculously long or complex.

Symposion

I think that Latin is thought in the wrong way at University of Helsinki. We learn to translate texts from Latin into especially Finnish. Instead Latin should be thought as a modern language. That would increase the knowledge of the language in a completely different way. Latin is not a dead language just because there are no native speakers anymore! :(

Symposion

How is it a fantasy when you can read, write, listen and talk in Latin today? Latin is a language a lot of people use every day. The only sad part is that students do not learn Latin as much anymore! :(

Symposion

Maybe I would then understand what you mean. Do you Aurifex not really see that you can read, write, listen and talk in Latin today?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I think that Latin is thought in the wrong way at University of Helsinki. We learn to translate texts from Latin into especially Finnish. Instead Latin should be thought as a modern language. That would increase the knowledge of the language in a completely different way. Latin is not a dead language just because there are no native speakers anymore! :(
I agree that the modern focus of only translating from Latin is a mistake.