Cicero denounces Catiline in the Senate

john abshire

• Patronus

--Cicero denounces Catiline in the Senate--
Quid facis, Catilina? Quid cogitas? Sentimus magna vitia insidiasque tuas. O tempora! O mores! Senatus haec intellegit, consul videt. Hic tamen vivit. Vivit? Etiam in senatum venit; etiam nunc consilia agere audet; oculis designat ad mortem nos!
Et nos, boni viri, nihil facimus! Ad mortem te, Catilina, consul et senatus ducere debent. Consilium habemus et agere debemus; si nunc non agimus, nos, nos--aperte dico-- erramus! Fuge nunc, Catilina, et duc tecum amicos tuos. Nobiscum remanere non potes; non te, non istos, non consilia vestra tolerabo!

What are you doing Catalina? What are you thinking? We perceive your plot and great crimes . O the times! O the morals! the senate understands these things. The consul sees. However, this man lives. He lives? He is also coming into the senate; he also dares to do a plan; he marks us out for death with his eyes!
And us, good men, we are accomplishing nothing! Catilina, consul and the senate ought to lead you to (your) death. We have a plan and we ought to do (it); if we do not do this, we, --I say openly--we err! Now flee Catilina, and take your friends with you. You are not able to remain with us; I will not tolerate you, your friends, or your schemes!
??
edit

Last edited:

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

What case is oculis?
nos can be nominative, vocative, or accusative. If it is nominative can it go with designat?

I would say that aperte goes with dico.
What case is amicos tuos?
I'm not sure about "this is a living." I'm thinking more like "Nevertheless, this (thing? man?) lives. It lives?")

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Sentimus magna vitia insidiasque tuas

Sentimus is we perceive
tuas goes with insidias (and also with magna vitia)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

et duc tecum amicos tuos
and take your friends with you

non consilia vestra tolerabo
probably more: I will not put up with your schemes