Close (down)

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Some distinctions are very clear, some not. One closes a door, but closes down a failing business. But what about computers? I would probably close both a program or an individual window. However, closing down a program doesn't sound as wrong to my ear as closing down a window.

What about you? Talk about possibly the dullest subject in the world here.

B

Bitmap

I suppose 'close down sth.' means something like 'put an end to sth.' ... so closing down a programme sounds ok because you end an ongoing process. A window is just a static display device, so 'closing it down' may sound a bit strange.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

But are you saying that because that's how it strikes you as well, or are you simply providing an explanation for why I might feel that?

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Hmm....I guess I say "ex out of it" to close down the window, and "collapse it" to close the window.

D

Deleted member 13757

There is an important distinction between killing a program and closing, exiting or quitting it. Killing it implies that it will not have a chance to perform its usual graceful on close operations, such as saving the state (your work). It is akin to crashing it.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

There is an important distinction between killing a program and closing, exiting or quitting it. Killing it implies that it will not have a chance to perform its usual graceful on close operations, such as saving the state (your work). It is akin to crashing it.
There's Quit vs. Force Quit (the former is the proper way to close a program, while the latter forcibly closes a program, even if it's still processing).