Crowdsourced translations on Facebook :)

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

http://www.bloglingua.com/wrong-transla ... -facebook/

Facebook’s crowd-sourced translation app has helped the company translate Facebook into over 100 different languages quickly and cheaply.

The problem was discovered on July 28th, when Spanish and Turkish-speaking Facebook users logged on to find their pages filled with profanity in both English and Spanish. For example, according to this article on The Register, the Turkish version of Facebook’s IM error message, which is supposed to read “Your message could not be sent because the recipient is offline," was changed to say "Your message could not be sent because of your tiny penis." That’s pretty much the only example that’s even printable.

Why did Facebook suddenly start cursing at its users? Facebook’s translation app depends on users to vote for the most accurate translations for each piece of text. That works great, as long as the people are voting are honestly trying to be helpful. Unfortunately for Facebook, members of a Turkish online forum called Inci Sözlük worked together to create the profane "translations" and vote them up. This vulnerability is inherent in any sort of crowd-sourcing unless precautions are taken. For example, when young Canadian pop star Justin Bieber tried to "crowd-source" a stop on his world tour, his contest was hijacked by the internet pranksters at 4chan, who promptly voted to send him to North Korea.
Something makes me suspect that the reason there weren't comparable translations in Latin is because not enough people are capable of creating them....

...and, of course, those who can are too mature for the job :-8

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Why does Facebook not have automatic built-in profanity filters (implemented onto the website itself, rather than being a mere app)? Good thing that I do not use that "anti-social" networking website. It nowadays has mainly bad-mannered people and is immature to death.

I like the Latin Discussion Forum's community much better, as it is much more mature and fortunately less popular. Whenever popularity increases, especially with websites and online games, immaturity generally increases.