De gustibus est disputandum... ;)

Godmy

A Monkey
Btw. oatmeal should be eaten with some source of calcium (=some kind of milk or yoghurt / quark*) because oats, despite having numerous health benefits and supply the body with lots of vitamins etc. etc., can cause under very certain conditions in certain quantities a potential calcium deficiency (from reasons difficult to describe, it has to do with calcium oxalate) and that's why it is not a bad idea to eat them not with water but with milk or yoghurt: like that, your calcium net intake is at worst around zero instead of negative, at best it is positive...

*the thing Slavs call "tvaroh", not sure it exists in the west in the same form.

Last edited:

Godmy

A Monkey
Yep - can just see you as the next Arnold Schwarzenegger. :D
How about you, some strength/fitness ambitions next to cooking etc.? ; P (it sometimes goes hand in hand)

Btw., Adrian is not bulshitting, he really started with strength training (& losing some superfluous fat storage), he's obviously not "Arnold" yet, but it's all on the good way ; )

Tironis

Never even crossed my mind Adrian might be bullshitting. Whatever his goal I'm sure he'll make it - as long as he doesn't look like Arnold at the end of it! :rolleyes1: I'm not a foodie - mainly steam a lot of vegetables with or without a portion of cod, or make spaghetti with pesto sauce - and that's about it. Have given porridge a rest - am now on Swiss style Muesli with no added salt and sugar.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
he's obviously not "Arnold" yet, but it's all on the good way ; )
TBH I would never want to look like Arnold. My goal is to achieve slender wiry "dry-cut" physique similar to Jason Statham

But my foremost goal and aspiration is to build up condition and muscular strength (like the one seen among martial arts practitioners)

Tironis

Long life seems nice, but for now my goal is to boost mah strenth
chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, salt water fish, egg yokes, yogurt and garlic ... all them goodies that give you brawn and make them chest hair grow like crazy.
. . . and make them chest hair grow like crazy. Didn't seem to have worked for Jason Statham. :puzzled::doh:;)

Adrian

Civis Illustris
. . . and make them chest hair grow like crazy. Didn't seem to have worked for Jason Statham. :puzzled::doh:;)
Nature works mysterious ways; sometimes it's the chest, other time the back, some other time the crotch:D
Or perhaps he sacrificed himself for the sake of photo shoot and did full brazilian waxing....

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Salt and vinegar is hard to find in the crisp shelves
I noticed myself (it's very difficult to get such crisps in Poland); I used to stop by a german LIDL (when I went on business trip) to buy them.
IMO salt+vinegar taste way better then Paprika flavor or grilled vegetables flavor.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Here I think it's red for full-fat, green for semi-skimmed and blue for skimmed.
It looks like blue is sometimes semi-skimmed, too. The other day I bought a blue semi-skimmed milk carton.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
I am about to eat some Super Green sausages. These consist of quinoa, spinach, ginger, chilli and mint. The package assures me they are packed full of plant-based goodness.

I am dubious, given that they're promoted as gluten-free, high-fibre and vegan. In other words, healthily or morally trendy, which usually means short on taste. We shall see.

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
To paraphrase Johnson: worth eating, but not worth inviting someone to eat.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Now I'm going to eat some chicken (plus mozzarella and other things) chipolatas, from the same company. The triumph of hope over experience? Half of them fried and the other half grilled, because I have to find out the truth.

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
We await the results.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
You can't handle the truth. Or at least I can't, because I've forgotten what they were like. Probably too boring to write up.

Anyway, bread. Quite a simple thing at heart: water, flour, salt, yeast. Not difficult to make from scratch either, though for some reason there's a mystique about it. This allows you to feel quite smug for little effort.

But then we come to gluten-free bread. Dozens of ingredients, and you'd think at least one or two of them would give the end product some sort of flavour, but you'd be wrong. Worse, the thing doesn't hold together. In theory, xanthan gum will do the trick. In practice, it doesn't. Also, it derives its name from the bacterium xanthomonas campestris, which causes black rot. Yum.

The blandness I could just about handle, but I find it hard to believe modern food technology can't find a way of sticking together a loaf without gluten. Perhaps they could try glue or rubber bands. And then at least it would taste of something.