Dies Irae Dies Illa Solvet Cosmos In Favilla

nate

hello everyone. i was after a translation for this phrase. Also could you help with punctuation if any required and do all the words have to start with a capital letter?

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

The original verse goes like this:
Dies iræ, dies illa
Solvet sæclum in favilla,
Teste David cum Sibylla.

"The day of wrath, that day
will disssolve the world in ashes
David and the Sibyl being witnesses."

Your version has cosmos instead of saeclum ("world") for some reason. The difference in meaning is not very big though.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Your version has cosmos instead of saeclum ("world") for some reason. The difference in meaning is not very big though.
I'm afraid the difference in meaning is quite big. Cosmos doesn't occur except in medieval Latin (usually as cosmus), as far as I know, and clearly, like the Greek κόσμος it is borrowed from, the form is second declension nominative, which won't do here.

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

Ah, I see. I guess I was a bit too rash there.

To the OP: where did you find this version with cosmos?

nate

i did find the original with "saeclum" in a gregorian chant? the version with "cosmos"is from a song by dissection song called starless aeon. i took it mean "day of wrath day of mourning cosmos in ashes" would this be completelly incorrect?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It is rather incorrect.

The only difference with the first two lines of the original version (which Araneus provided along with a translation) is that they replaced the word saeculum, meaning "world", with the word cosmos. It is possible that they wanted to change "world" to "universe" or "cosmos" and felt the word cosmos was appropriate, but unfortunately they didn't know enough Latin to choose the correct form of the word, and thus the result is ungrammatical.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Cosmum would fix the grammar, at any rate.

nate

so just to clarify
"Dies iræ, dies illa
Solvet Cosmum in favilla."
would be the correct way to say
"The day of wrath, that day
will disssolve the cosmos in ashes"?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes. A correct way, at any rate.

nate

Great! Thank you all very much for the insight, its been helpful and interesting. I'll be sure to make another donation Thanks again.

nate

Out of curiosity how would you actually say "The Day of Wrath, O Day of Mourning Dissolve the Cosmos to ashes" which was the translation that someone else left on a forum?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

As a command?
Dies irae, o dies luctus, solve cosmum in favilla.